Sohal Tang...

Arsonmfg

Has anyone had any experience with these fish? I have grown quite the infatuation with tangs. Right now I have a small blue (about 2 inches) and a Med Yellow eye (about 3.5 inches)

My girlfriend asked me what I wanted for christmas and I said another Tang...

I'm really having a toss up between getting a Sohal or an Achilles Tang.

I've read a lot about both of these fish with a lot of conflicting information it seems. Anyone thats had experience with either of these fish would be greatly appreciated.

Michael7979 I've pretty much given up on the Sohal due to them being so aggressive, I might try an achilles down the road. I want to make sure the 120 is up and running really solid before I try either fish, I've heard a lot of mixed results on acclimating the Achilles as well. For now its looking like I'll just pick up a Clown Tang since they are really available and seem to have a better temperament.

Sohals are great but you want to add them last and i would suggest the same for clown tang the Achilles is a little more tempermental as they come from high surge area's and need high oxygen in water and flow.I have had bad luck myself with Sohals in just getting one to come in good condition but it seems everyone i get for customer does great lol, kinda the reverse with my clown though but Blown65 can explain that one lol.Anyways in my 300 i have a valmingi,purple,yellow,tomingi,clown,sailfin and all get along great id get the Sohal again but im afraid my clown wouldnt have it lol I love tangs:D they also do fine with all my other fish types the biggest mistake made with tangs is putting to many in smaller tanks I think in a 120 you should be fine with 2-3 and make sohal last but if doing Achillis make it the first.

Reefboy, I appreciate the response. It's nice to have some input from someone who's had some substantial experience with both of these fish. I'd really love to have the Sohal just because they are such a beautiful fish. I too have a passion for tangs, I thought about getting a Tomini just because of their excellent cleaning habits, my yellow eye is a cleaning machine! I have two giant pieces of live rock that are covered in green hair that he's going to get to go nuts on once the new tank is ready for him, he's going to be stoked!

It makes me sad when people get Tangs and put them in these little tanks, I was talking to one of the local lfs the other day and he got two beautiful Naso's that are both really big, like 7+ inches! IMO 98% of the community doesn't have to tank space for a fish that large. The saddest part is that the larger of the two has refused to eat anything at all for the past two weeks. Ultimately the fish will probably die and thats pretty sad something so beautiful has to be taken from the wild and then die.

I love having corals but all in all fish are my passion because of their interaction. Thanks again for all the input, maybe once I have the tank stocked the way I want it I'll think more about adding a Sohal for the finishing touch.

120 Gallon Tank 4' Long?

I have had great experience with a couple different Tangs. My previous tank was a 120(4'x2'x2') and I had a Blue and Sailfin Tang that got along great. They kind of out grew the 120 in about 2 years. When I moved my dad took the 2 Tangs and put them in a 180(6'x2'x2') with a Naso. That was about 2 years ago and they are still doing really well. The Naso is about 10", Sailfin is 8" and the Blue is 7". The 3 Tangs are very active and use all 6' of that tank.

Since I moved I set up a 200(8'x2'x1'-8") gallon tank. I have a Blue, Sailfin and Clown Tang in this tank. The Clown is about 5", the Sailfin is 4" and the Blue is 3".

If the Clown Tang you get is anywhere near as active or agressive as the one I have I would recommend not getting the Clown Tang until you have a 6' long tank. The 120 gallon tank you have is 4' long, right?

I wanted a Sohal Tang like you but I chose the Clown Tang cause I read it wasn't as agressive. It was also much more inexpensive and easy to find.

Hope that helps.

I had a sohol' date=' blue hippo, and a scribbled rabbit fish in a 120. The sohol was the last of these that was added and they all got along pretty well.[/quote']

Bob-

Do you still have the scribbled rabbit? I'd love to see one in a tank other than pics I've found on the web. I will have room for one soon. I just lost my powder brown the other night, (among another 4=5 that got ich. Tank was perfect for a year until I got 2 new fish that brought it in. Guess I'll go back to setting up a QT tank and be hard at it and only buy fish from the one store I can trust in giving me perfectly healthy specimens every time. My Sailfin is hanging in there tough. I want another brown; love powder blues but here they're not as hardy. Purple would be great, but can get mean. I'm just tired of seeing them perish, with corals, I'm great at keeping alive and maybe should focus more on those....as I'm using Corny was to add to my zoo/pally collection. Hopefully haven't jacked the thread too much, but I think I 'm supposed to be sleeping after taking an ambien. I may have to come back and delete what I've typed, I give up, goodnight.

Kilmca, Yes the tank is 4x2x2. Once I buy my house I'll be building an in wall 210 or possibly bigger, so all the kids from the 120 will be moved to that tank. Thats why I've tried to keep to the smaller tangs so they can grow and then get moved to a larger tank when they will need more room.

I think once things are up and running solid I'll try to pick up a small Shoal and see how they all get along. Hopefully I'll have things running soon enough. Sadly I'm broke as can be right now cause of the holidays so I'm going to have to wait a little longer to get my tank up and running unless I can find someone to rent me their ro for a few days. Cause I cant afford $70 worth of water right now... [language filter] that sounds lame!