Can’t keep mixing station clean

Lazyreefer

Hello I was just wondering if anyone has any idea why I can’t keep water mixing in my brute 30 gallon can for more then a few days without It getting a gross brownish gunk that collects. I have a heater and 2 strong mixing pumps in this little container and it still gets rather nasty looking way faster then I believe it should. I have soaked in vinegar as well same result.  I could just be over thinking it and that gunk doesn’t negatively effect anything but I am wondering what people think I even will  take the pumps and heater out and scrub them clean in between water mixing then rinse with rodi before putting back in. Here is an example of when I dip my cup into the water to collect water so I can test with the Hanna meter outside of the container because I don’t want to dip that in there and cause remnants of tank water to get in... what am I doing wrong? 

0B507FD4-48FD-465E-B149-657CE71537A8.jpeg

2 hours ago, Burningbaal said:

Definitely watched that before, I use tropic Marin which they recommend.  

edit: was thinking it was a different video. That does answer a lot of what I asked but I guess my issue is just that it still worries me that I’m putting this dirty brown stuff into the tank it seems like. But if the consensus is it doesn’t effect anything then I guess I’ll just forget about it haha! 

Edited by Lazyreefer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Burningbaal said:

I would make a point to said the sludge when transferring to the tank. Though tropic Marin pro is supposed to have near-zero of this...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yea I probably am just overthinking it, like they said the particulates don’t seem to have any effect on anything. I’m n going to try to pour all my water change through one of my new filter socks and see if it changes color at the end 👌🏻

The brown crud is really white precipitant with some brown gunk. When the concentration of alkalinity and calcium gets too high, calcium carbonate precipitates. Try to minimize this by adding the salt slowly after the water, so there are no places in your mixing station where the concentration gets too high. To get rid of the brown stuff, buy a better salt mixture.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trailermann said:

I have used three different high quality salt mixes the past two years, and always get the brown stuff.

11 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

I think it's just anti-caking agent. I use 3D printed skimmer kit for jebao as mixing pump. I get a some brown skim foams from fresh mixed saltwater.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Nice thank you guys those situations are pretty much exactly what I’m talking about guess I’m not the only one for sure 👌🏻