Check valve for my returns

Jay

Hey everyone:

I have 2 returns from my sump. I have the center overflow because my tank is a cube type walk around tank and the returns go up through the center of the overflow and out the side with those bendable nozels that you can aim the direction you want the flow to go. Right now if I have a power outage the water will flow down the returns into my sump and fill it up..which is ok as long as I dont put the returns to far down in the tank so it will only siphen so much to the sump. I have a line on my sump to fill up to and it will not overflow as it is. Is there a check valve I can get to go in the return line to prevent a back siphen? I know I could drill a hole in the return but seems a check valve would be better then I could actually aim my returns where I want without worry. It is the clear plastic 3/4 inch tubeing plummed from my sump to the bottom of the tank where it connects to plastic pvc. So the check valve needs to be for the plastic clear tube.

I know good question right.

Jay

Hey everyone:

I have 2 returns from my sump. I have the center overflow because my tank is a cube type walk around tank and the returns go up through the center of the overflow and out the side with those bendable nozels that you can aim the direction you want the flow to go. Right now if I have a power outage the water will flow down the returns into my sump and fill it up..which is ok as long as I dont put the returns to far down in the tank so it will only siphen so much to the sump. I have a line on my sump to fill up to and it will not overflow as it is. Is there a check valve I can get to go in the return line to prevent a back siphen? I know I could drill a hole in the return but seems a check valve would be better then I could actually aim my returns where I want without worry. It is the clear plastic 3/4 inch tubeing plummed from my sump to the bottom of the tank where it connects to plastic pvc. So the check valve needs to be for the plastic clear tube.

I know good question right.

Jay

I would just drill a couple of siphon break holes just below the water line and that will solve the problem...

You can drill these holes inside your overflow box if your returns come up through it, this way you dont have to worry about it changing height or if its even just at the water line. Just be sure your stand pipe is below it so when the overflow box drains, air can be drawn into your return lines.