Happy Reef

SuncrestReef

Over the past few weeks my tank suffered a setback with the loss of about 10% of my corals to brown jelly syndrome.  Things have stabilized, and I'm glad to see my fish, inverts, and remaining corals seem to be happy and healthy.  In the big picture, I'm just glad to have such a beautiful piece of living art in my living room:

• Like 3

Just now, Dan said:

did you ever figure out the cause of the brown jelly? looks good now in there. 

No, I'm not sure what started it.  I think I first noticed a problem on my birdsnest colony, but didn't recognize it as brown jelly syndrome at first.  I thought there was just some detritus on the coral and blew it off with a turkey baster.  But that spread it throughout the tank, and about a week later I started noticing problems on multiple corals.  There was also some warfare between my lobo and Hollywood stunner, then shortly after the stunner was heavily infected.  I don't know if the stinging caused it or if the timing was just coincidence as the brown jelly was spread throughout the tank.

The birdsnest went from healthy to completely dead in about 9 days.  The Hollywood stunner lost 50% of it's surface area in a week.  Some of my small SPS frags went from healthy to dead in 2 days.  Today I had to remove two more SPS frags that slowly deteriorated over about 3 weeks.  I haven't noticed any others with problems, but I'm keeping a very close eye on everything just in case.  It's heartbreaking and frustrating.  Like I said, I'm just glad to have what's left in the tank looking good at this point.

That is very fast and scary thing to have happen. Guess I would try to figure what changed but you probably did that already Im sure.

Im fairly new to the hobby and find it amazing how fast things could change. Im glad things are looking up though for you.

26 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

you get that coral QT setup?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no.  I don't have a good place to put a long-term QT tank at the moment.  However, I'm in the early phase of planning a house remodel to add a couple rooms, one of which will include a fish room and a large new tank, plus a bar and billiards room!