Brown Out

drock59

so I checked out the milwaukie brand unit (since the other is out of stock), it reads this:

Range 0.00 - 2.50 mg/L PO4

Resolution 0.01 mg/L

Accuracy ± 0.04 mg/L to 1.00 mg/L

Someone help me out, what does .04 to 1.00 mean? Does that mean it can be anywhere in between, or does that mean something like .04 PER 1.00 mg/l?

Sorry Dan,,, ill shut up now and quit hijacking your thread.

so I checked out the milwaukie brand unit (since the other is out of stock), it reads this:

Range 0.00 - 2.50 mg/L PO4

Resolution 0.01 mg/L

Accuracy ± 0.04 mg/L to 1.00 mg/L

Someone help me out, what does .04 to 1.00 mean? Does that mean it can be anywhere in between, or does that mean something like .04 PER 1.00 mg/l?

Sorry Dan,,, ill shut up now and quit hijacking your thread.

I'd assume that meant it was accurate withing +- .04 mg/l until the result is up to 1.0m/l then all accuracy measurements are off.

Nyles, you may have hit the nail on the head.

I have been having constant and pH issue. I have tried all the suggested remedies over at RC and nothing seems to work. However, if my pH is not swinging a bunch, just hovering down low at 7.9-8.0, is that a real problem?

Nyles, you may have hit the nail on the head.

I have been having constant and pH issue. I have tried all the suggested remedies over at RC and nothing seems to work. However, if my pH is not swinging a bunch, just hovering down low at 7.9-8.0, is that a real problem?

I would say no, as long as a ph is 7.9-8.4 area and stays stable it should not effect to much.

Obviously, this problem will not be solved in a short time frame but I want to recap what we have covered.

Ph= fine as long as it not swinging

Levels=A little low on the calc and mag but nothing drastic

Phos=possible but going to be difficult to test.

Lighting=I am still considering this possibility, but I hate to mess with it too much. New bulbs around Christmas. Still consensus that Phoenix 14k is the way to go on the DE front?

Obviously, this problem will not be solved in a short time frame but I want to recap what we have covered.

Ph= fine as long as it not swinging

Levels=A little low on the calc and mag but nothing drastic

Phos=possible but going to be difficult to test.

Lighting=I am still considering this possibility, but I hate to mess with it too much. New bulbs around Christmas. Still consensus that Phoenix 14k is the way to go on the DE front?

Yeah I agree with everything you have covered here... phoenix 14k's are great bulbs...

as for lighting, maybe you could try playing around with your lighting schedule, cut it down some or increase the time and see what happens...

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a bit over a week and I have yet to see any real improvement.

However, my pH has been ridiculously low. I have a window open in the fish room and it is super cold, but lots of fresh air. Im dosing kalk, and my alk is up around 11dkh. What the heck?

Anyway, I thought I would share some before and after pics.

Before

DSCF0533.jpg

Today

DSCF1557.jpg

Before

DSCF0530.jpg

Today

DSCF1556.jpg

Some other brownies

DSCF1562.jpg

DSCF1561.jpg

DSCF1554.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

And lastly some corals that look decent :)

DSCF1559.jpg

DSCF1541.jpg

DSCF1535.jpg

a year ago:

DSCF5955.jpg

DSCF1545.jpg

DSCF1546.jpg

DSCF1543.jpg

Full Tank:

DSCF1563.jpg

I thought it was weird that just a few select corals are brown too.

My reactor pH is already about 6.8-6.9.

Ive had the reactor for about a month and a half but this problem started about 3 or 4 months ago. I dont think its the reactor.

Maybe my skimmer isnt sucking in enough air to fully aerate the water. Seems like a stretch.

After reading this entire thread I want to thank everyone for awnsering many of my questions. I am also struggling with brown sps corals and now have many new ideas to work from. Thanks. My tank is looking better lately but still have brown sps corals to deal with. Can the color return? How long for that to take after everything is corrected?

Jay