Sort of new to hobby saying hello

kjlife

Hello I have had fresh water tanks for years now set up a 29 gallon reef last year had ups and downs getting the hang of it now recently bought a used tank at a great deal most everything is included to start it up been preparing for that now and figured I might have a few solid questions to ask 

First of all I do have an rodi unit but getting almost 100 gallons of saltwater for set I think I'll need help does any have advice or source for this

I'll throw in some current tank pictures for fun

15404089399214883835914564102109.jpg

15404089626487395366141635135364.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome!  Looking forward to seeing the new tank setup. Most of the LFS around town have either DI or premixed salt water available for purchase if you want (eg Cuttlefish and Seahorse). A lot of folk just run their RO/DI output directly into their tank and wait it out but that can require a bit of extra tubing. Someone would probably lend you some extra tubs for water if you can’t go straight to the tank. Just a few ideas. 

I mixed my salt strait in the tank but I measured how much water I put in the tank so I knew how much salt to add. If you decide to go that rout, I'd suggest just making sure the water temp is about 78°F and have a couple powerheads moving the water so the salt doesn't concentrate to one point. And make sure to put in less salt at first so you don't go over the salinity level that you want, and just add small amounts till you get too your desired target salinity.

• Like 1

Unrelated to rodi in terms of the drain and return to sump bulkheads that came with this setup at barbed fittings in the past I've always used PVC from bulkhead to drain and return pipes I send another pic once I'm back out there

On 10/24/2018 at 5:43 PM, kjlife said:

Unrelated to rodi in terms of the drain and return to sump bulkheads that came with this setup at barbed fittings in the past I've always used PVC from bulkhead to drain and return pipes I send another pic once I'm back out there

Sorry I missed this. If you wanted to hard plumb it you could easily swap out those bulkheads. I have used both flex and hard pluming alone and in combination and they both have their advantages. You typically can get higher flow by avoiding right angles that PVC sometimes requires but hard plumbing can be cleaner depending on the path you have to take. Really a matter of taste in my mind. I would recommend laying it out with your sump, filters and return pump in place and see what it would look like. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kjlife said:

Just went straight up and down I guess it might work hopefully lol

15406926423127875614303537568130.jpg

Those are pretty straight runs.

Having had that same sump, the original layout had a filter sock holder in that back-left chamber.  Looks like you may have reversed the flow with the return pump in that compartment (based on the tubing size)?  That might cause you problems as, if I recall correctly, you would need to run a really high level in that large chamber where you skimmer is sitting to push any water to the “return”.  This is likely to affect your skimmer function as well as limit your shutdown holding capacity in the sump - making it prone to an overflow if you return pump stops. 

If the intent was to return from the main chamber (where your skimmer is) you might want to consider changing up the two lines. You will generally want a larger diameter drain line that return line so as not to limit the overall flow. 

Sorry if I am off base here and misreading the arrangement. 

The sump setup does seem werid to me but I think you might be seeing it wrong return pump is hooked to 3/4" tube and drain is 1"-1/4

I could reverse them by switching the bulk heads around should I be draining into that chamber and returning from the other side?

I

My initial thought was also having return next to skimmer it's going to pump bubbles up and I really appreciate you advice or input

56 minutes ago, kjlife said:

Does any one else know the answer to that would the return pump being in that chamber with the skimmer work or no because of bubbles ?

Sorry - I was going to take a picture of my exact same sump for you and the return pump is in the same compartment as the skimmer - no problems with bubbles. Typically the drain line will be wider than the return to allow for sufficient flow with just the gravity feed.   If I get a chance later I will try and send you a pic - just dealing with some family stuff right now. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, albertareef said:

Here is a pick of my setup with the same style sump (although reversed).  Flow is drain on left which then flows to back chamber, across back and into large chamber at front with skimmer and return. 

6C3480DF-4000-4DE6-8003-039E590CD1DF.jpeg

Set up this way makes sense now thanks so much o couldn't seem to figure this sump out lol thanks again