Building/getting a stand made

bluecheese

I am contemplating getting a new system and was wondering what people have done/used/ consulted with/ recommend when it comes to build/get a stand.

Home made?

Steel?

Wood?

the tank will be about 300 Gal 72x30x30, in wall , so no esthetic requirement here. I can use a saw and probably make a wooden stand but my wife does not trust my carpentry abilities. That's what you get for being a nerd. (sad) She wants something "professional" or from someone who has experience. One recommendation was to use a steel stand to get more access under the tank

Suggestions?

Thanks

With an inwall & making it out of wood you would save lots of $ Versus having quality grade wood for an indoor stand. Also access and space is so much greater with an inwall.

When I get the chance I will upload the pix when i built my stand.

I'll post it in my thread under the Member Tanks section.

I probably spent less then $75 on my stand and it is very solid.

Again good luck.

bluecheese:

I don't think a metal stand costs that much more than a wood one. You rarely see people go from having metal stands back to wood... I know I never will. Don't skimp on the things you will never be able to change out later. Plus they make for excellent magnet beer openers

My 125g stand has a steel frame outskirted in Oak. If you ever moved and wanted to keep the stand, you can always surround it in wood. The steel makes me feel more comfortable with the weight. If you do wood, you can always call Parr Lumber and they have someone that can help you with specs on type/size of wood to use/span, etc. They even have some lambeam that can go 6' without a center post if that is desirable. More $ for that though.

Like I said before I can help anyone who wants a metal stand. It does not really cost that much to build one. The powder coating will eat up a few dollars if that is the way you want to travel. The only reason I have a wood stand is I got a smokin deal on my wood one. Otherwise it was going to be steel with a wood skin.

Also if the only metal stand you have ever seen is Izzypops then yes I can understand why you think it is expensive hell I think his would hold up a Mack truckDOH! Plus the tank(laugh) It is a real nice stand.