Size of skimmer?

reefgeek84

Size of skimmer?  

1. 1.

• Stick w/ the smaller skimmer and save the 100 bucks
    • Go big or go home, spend the extra 100 bucks and get the bigger skimmer, it will be worth it

So I am going the way of a sump and will be going with a ATI bubblemaster skimmer..

Everyone goes oversize on the skimmer, but how much is necessary?

I was going to go with the one that is rated at 250gal tank, but wondering if it would be just as good to go with the smaller one that is rated for 100gal heavily stocked tank (140 not heavily stocked), cause I would save about 100 bucks...total water volume will be 70gal. I do not mind spending the extra 100 bucks if it is going be a helpful thing, but if there is a plateau and the bigger one will not do much more for my tank I will not spend the extra money...

Help me out here...

From your experience' date=' you should know to just buy the right thing in the first place, or it will end up in the classifieds :). I'd go bigger for future overstocking use.[/quote']

I agree, you never know what you are going to need in the future. I ran a PM Bullet 3 on an 18 gallon nano for awhile, until we got our 180 set up.

I would say go for the smaller one Brandon and save some money :)

So you are deciding between the Bubblemaster 160 and 200? These are very efficient skimmers and the ratings they give them are probably very very conservative. Like Mike said you cant really mess with too much like a recirc so go with the smaller one. Also the smaller uses about half the power. Later Ryan

Yeah, I think I will not be a cheap a$$ and just get the big one...Even though I change tanks and equipment all the time, I think I have it dialed in...Going with a 400w over the tank and then this skimmer and new sump and then I think I just get to set back and watch everything grow...

Brandon, how many fishes will you kep in there? I would base it on that. If not that many and not too big (i.e bioload might not be too high) I'd go for the cheaper model. If you expect your bioload to be high, go bigger. But knowing you, you'll be changing tank in 6 months. So you might want to get just what you need for this one, i.e. the smaller one that is efficient.

For me I would probably get the bigger one, because I would probably be going bigger at some point.

Good luck!