MIA and Eggs

Holly

Yesterday afternoon, I added a Christmas wrasse and a Mandarin fish. The Mandarin went into hiding the moment I put it in the tank and hasn't been seen since. The wrasse was out for a few hours--being hounded by the much smaller 6line--then disappeared and is still MIA.

I'm having a premature panic that they've both croaked, so I'm checking to see if maybe it's normal for a wrasse and/or dragonet to hide for a while..? <>

IN OTHER NEWS ..I just looked in the tank and noticed that my clarks have LAID EGGS!! I never expected this! I guess 'the Tank giveth, and the Tank taketh away' ...So I just threw together a little video of my clarks and their clutch (clap)

The Mandarin is alive and well! 'Just spotted it going over some rock, and it looks happy and alert. ::PHEW:: It appears to be trying to feed...

The wrasse is still MIA.

It looks like the male clark is "pecking" at the eggs...? Do they ever eat their own eggs?

The wrasse appeared (beaten up and almost dead) at the surface of the water :( Luckily, my 12g nano has nothing in it right now, so I was able to move him to that to see if he can pull through. He's not looking so good. (sad)

'No idea what nipped off his tail and rear scales. (flame)

The wrasse appeared (beaten up and almost dead) at the surface of the water :( Luckily, my 12g nano has nothing in it right now, so I was able to move him to that to see if he can pull through. He's not looking so good. (sad)

'No idea what nipped off his tail and rear scales. (flame)

I'd bet a dollar to a donut that your 6-line is the culprit. They are a territorial fish especially towards newly added wrasses of the same species or any other wrasses.

I'm sure you're right. I know wrasses are aggressive like that, but I figured 180g was large enough for two, esp since there are innumerable hiding places in the rocks, corals, and macro. Plus, the Xmas wrasse was almost twice the size of the 6line. I guess size doesn't matter in this case(whistle)

My 6line always stayed on the left side of the tank before. NOW he's all over the tank, monitoring from all four corners. I guess another wrasse is totally out of the question now :( That stinks because I really like wrasses...

Do you suppose there's ANY other kind of wrasse I might be able to get? (scratch)

I agree with Cuda (does happen once in awhile)

practice makes perfect for the spawning pair. If you plan on raising them make sure the parents are fed REAL well so you have healthy Larvae. I bet within a couple months of practice on the fishes part they will make it to hatch.

They've already got a second clutch of eggs!!! YAY!!

The eggs weren't there on Sunday (I didn't ck yesterday) but today they're on the same exact location on the same rock.

This is NOT a rock I can move. I wish I could stick a temporary rock or piece of plastic in that location so I could remove the eggs to the 12g nano when they're ready to hatch (I have no fish in the nano). ..Not that I'd know how to take care of clown fry...or even how to grow rotifers... It's a lost cause all around, I guess...

I hate that all of the fry--IF they ever hatch--will become food in the big tank.:( Seems like such a waste.

I know it's weird, but my clarks seem like THE BEST parents. They play together in the anemone all day, and the male hardly leaves the eggs alone for a minute (he's always pecking and fanning them). It's so sweet to watch! He seems more attentive this time than last.

A lot of people think fish are brainless animals, but I think there's something more there...at least to me....(fish)

Keep an eye on the eggs. From what you described they probably laid the eggs on monday night. Watch the color of the eggs. Around day 6ish the eggs will change to a grey color & you should probably notice that you can start to see the eyes. At thay point they are approximately 2 days from hatching. I will do some checking but the eggs should hatch on day 7 or 8 ish.

Very exciting keep us updated.

Cuda

Very cool on the clutches!

I had to get rid of my 6line too for the same reasons as you. I brought home a checkboard once and the 6line went crazy on it - basically forced it into hiding and never letting it eat :( And because I love wrasses, I took him into Joel and got a tamarin wrasse the other weekend - and he's doing awesome!

The eggs got that shiny-looking white-ish spot to them on Sunday (I guess those were the eyes). They (the eggs) lasted until Tuesday, when I got up to find them all gone but just a few. The male was frantically aerating the last four or five, but now they're gone too... 'Guess someone found them too enticing a treat not to eat... It's a night predator that's eating them cuz they disappear over night each time.

I seriously doubt I could catch the wrasse. He seems like the smartest fish in the tank...

Tuesday was the nite that they probably hatched. They usually hatch about an hour after the lights go out. The larvae are either eaten or sucked up in the filtration. It is pretty uncommon for a predator ( your wrasse) to eat them if the male is attending to them. He is probably very protective. If you want to try to raise a batch let me know & I could try to help you.

Cuda

Thank you! Wow, that's so nice!

I doubt I'm advanced enough to try to embark on that, but I'll see what happens with the pair

They haven't laid anymore eggs yet but they've moved to the higher-up sebae in the past couple of days and seem to be spending quite a lot of time checking out a new spot on a different rock. I've got my eyes peeled for eggs ...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...