BTA Acclimating and Feeding

nrc

Howdy,

I picked up a RBTA from Terry over at Seahorse on Sunday and drip acclimated "her" for 1-1/2 hours before introducing to the tank.   That evening she moved into under a ledge to a very shady spot with low flow.   For the last 48 hours she hasn't moved.   Tonight I offered her a small (approx the size of one half of a peanut) piece of raw shrimp from New Seasons.   She took it quickly and readily.   

I tried to err on the side of caution with the portion side... I don't want to feed more than she can handle or create any stress.   I'm not planning to spot feed  her again for a couple of days.

if anyone has any commentary feel free to share...   Too much / too little / too soon to feed?    Pic below from when I first put in the tank, and a second one from just a moment ago (note I lightened the second pic to show a little more detail).

Aretha Feb 4 2018.jpg

Aretha Feb 7 Lightened 2018.jpg

No kidding Sean.    That reminds me... I have what I think is an ORA Blue Tort peeking out of a pocket in my rockwork that I don't recall putting there.   I think there may have been a small frag mixed in with the digis I got from you.

She'll probably camp right on top of it.    If so - no worries.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Taylorhardy1 said:

I used to feed mine 1 piece of frozen a week, but then 2 little anemones seemingly sprouted out of the base, then all split out and now I've got 2 small rbtas and 2 bigger ones. I've learned mine seem to grow just as fast, without splitting as much when I don't feed. 

I've heard that from a few folks.   I don't plan to keep feeding this one very often. 

• 2 months later...

Well..  My anemone crawled into the DT circulation pump (Tunze 6020) at some point yesterday and died.   I had it in the tank for just over 80 days.   The clowns never hosted, but it looked healthy and was eating raw shrimp from a tong ~1x week.

I retrieved all the pieces that I could see / find.  I'm sure that I did not get them all.   I'm concerned now about the amount of decay and corresponding nitrate spike.   I did a 25% water change immediately when it happened, and will do another 25% tonight and monitor it closely.

:-/

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, nrc said:

Well..  My anemone crawled into the DT circulation pump (Tunze 6020) at some point yesterday and died.   I had it in the tank for just over 80 days.   The clowns never hosted, but it looked healthy and was eating raw shrimp from a tong ~1x week.

I retrieved all the pieces that I could see / find.  I'm sure that I did not get them all.   I'm concerned now about the amount of decay and corresponding nitrate spike.   I did a 25% water change immediately when it happened, and will do another 25% tonight and monitor it closely.

:-/

Sorry to hear Nate - that is definitely a bummer.  You definitely aren't the first to have a BTA victimized by getting too close to a pump but that doesn't make it less painful.  Should definitely keep an eye on the nitrates but sounds like you are taking a sound proactive approach.  Good luck!