The Reef Shed

ThePremiumAquarium

So after many many long nights of wonderful dreams, I began to make my new venture a reality. In late July I started construction on my newest addition. It is an 8'x8' reef shed with a 4' deck designed to house both prop tanks(for corals, inverts, and macro algaes), and equipment and support tanks for the main 210g display.

Currently there are two 100g sumps tied together (one to be filled with live rock and one to house equipment),

two 75 gallon tanks (one a refugium and one a softies/LPS and medium light tank),

two 40g breeders (one sps and high light prop tank and one softies and low light tank),

1 hp chiller, 2 recirc skimmers, 5 stage RO/DI unit, lots of lighting and power equip, and tons of testing, dosing, and fraging equipment

My house stays lots cooler and quieter now with most of the equipment out in the shed. Especially the chiller. Everything in the display is doing wonderful and growing nicely. The temperature has been really easy to maintain and except for on really hot days, the chiller only kicks on every once in a while.

My refugium is so far the most interesting addition. I grow Chaetomorpha, Razor Calurpa, Grape Calurpa, and some Halimeda in it. The Calurpas and the Chaeto have done so well, that I have been selling some of it on ebay. I started with only a few handfuls of Chaeto and soon the whole top of the 75g was filled. There are 3 6500k 28w bulbs run over the top of it with a 5 inch sand bed and about 30lbs of rubble rock and 20lbs of fiji.

The prop tanks are just getting through the brown phase and I have been starting to frags some easier corals (zoas and mushrooms). It will take a few more months of acclimation to get this part really going. I have discovered a massive need for snails and hermits with the 3 prop tanks. The argonite plugs that I have curing and glass need cleaned frequently without too many snails doing the job.

The two 100g sumps have been very nice and have made maintanence much easier. Water changes are done with rubbermaid trashcans and are so easy now with the two large sumps.

There is much work still to be done on this project including the addition of both calcium and kalk reactors and the addtion of both brine and phyto culturing tanks, but here are a few pictures of the initial construction. I will add more within a few days of the current phase of the shed(much further along).

Here is the initial stage of the foundation

DSC_0028-3.jpg

Here is the mostly complete foundation

DSC_0033.jpg

Here is the side before walls are completely up (thats my awesome dad Rich and roommate Spencer)

DSC_0038.jpg

And here is the front without the doors on yet

DSC_0035-1.jpg

More will come tomorrow. Got to jet for the night, but will try and post asap.

Thanks for checking it out

Garrett

Garrett, isnt the pitch of that roof going to send all the water right into your house? It seems it should be sloped away from the house to avoid sending water cascading down the side of the house. I wouldnt even trust just a gutter in the location, it really could ruin the wall.

Anyway, looks like a sweet project, Im always envious of people who have lots of room for gear, fitting it all in the stand is a challenge at times.

Yah, I did think about that. I have installed a pretty decent sized gutter on that side of the shed. There is also quite a bit more room between the house and the shed than it looks like in the picture (about 15"). There unfortunately just wasn't anywhere else that I could build this thing. The lady didn't want it any further into the yard and the way the plumbing would have to work out it had to be there. In retrospect, I wish I would have simply flipped the shed the other way facing the back yard to avoid run off. But oh well. Last time it rained, it rained pretty hard and there were no problems with water even touching the house. I am sure that Winter will bring with it many suprises and challenges that I will have to deal with.

Thanks for looking,

Garrett

I think it should work for you. I have a shed like that to only it is for garden tools DOH! I had to build it close to the house and it has been there for 4 years or more. Still have no problem with water or any water run off.

Project looks good keep the pics coming.

Alright,

Here are some more updated pictures of the "Reef Shed".

Hope you all enjoy!

Here is one fo the plumbing in and out of the house to the main display

DSC_0013-1.jpg

Front view with the doors open

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Some internal plumbing

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Left sump. Equipment sump

DSC_0011-2.jpg

Right sump. Live rock sump

DSC_0007-2.jpg

Right side (prop tanks)

DSC_0003-2.jpg

Left side (refugium and equipment)

DSC_0004-2.jpg

Rubble rock 40g for ricordia and various softies

DSC_0008-2.jpg

The refugium

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Main prop tank

DSC_0009-2.jpg

I have only spent roughly $1200 on the shed, foundation, tanks and tank stands. It was most definately one of those budget projects. I just wish I would have gone with the 8x10 now instead of the 8x8 for the $100 bucks more.

Thanks for all of the wonderful comments. I really am excited to see how it turns out after a while. It is definately a project.

Michael. Anytime you want to come check it out, be my guest. I love to show off all my reef stuff! Plus then maybe we could do some trading!!!

Thanks everyone,

Garrett