What a fantabulous weekend [emoji177][emoji177]

Sirena

What a weekend! I don't even know where to start so I guess I will start with Saturday morning and continue through tonight.....because the fun of the weekend is spilling over to into the work week

OKAY let's be honest...I am now officially an addict . I have so many wonderful people to thank for this lets start with this gal right here..... Kim has been a wonderful teacher and has lead me to the forum and the amazing group that you all are....thank you Kim for letting me be a part of all of this!

d3b0aca83b2812e09f71e742ebe28fba.jpg

Now on to the goodies I brought home this weekend!

At our first stop I quickly fell in love with this beauty! Thank you Upscales for having us an for the fantabulous deals!!

d808f8fa35101e13f1dc9c1e047b25f9.jpg

Just got done feeding it...thanks Cherany for the tips...both my sun corals are eating like champs now

Next off to Golden Basket...where Rudy is always so welcoming! I could spend an entire weekend there and still not really see everything!! but I saw some super awesome zoas (stupid Iphone couldn't take good pics) and this beauty...So far it is getting along fine with Fred and Ginger!

87a892efc7321dc67ceb56a8965b77c2.jpg

Then off to Cuttlefish....where the fun just continued for hours =D (I may have had some sobering up to do As always I instantly fell in love with just about everything but came home with this amazing yuma (yes Karen I just had to do it!!) It has the most vivid green underbelly and turns up to show it off!

ea065cc9b887536f2e1003e2bb245d96.jpg

I also came home with a few other mushrooms....goodness I need a real camera.....(Birthday gift honey??)

oh but wait my weekend was just getting started....Sunday we went over to Tom's so he and Kim could do some trading.... and just hang out and a totally awesome mans house! And suddenly I've got stuff in the cooler too [emoji41]

60599f95f82637776c128bc2c6afb30a.jpg

08f25e7dac469ce9b6b543108594c296.jpg

Don't be hatin! I think they are beautiful [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Since we were on that side of town we stopped at Bret's new shop Paradise Coral. And what a paradise it is turning into! Oh aaaaand I came home with Cindy Lou!

c4a1bf423c3b94f8bac107c374392b10.jpg

Who made it out of the rock today and was playing with the new family!

1c7bfa25cd253ef0b0026d1911d1b21c.jpg

Then to top off my love for everyone on the forum... tonight I scored 2 10 gallon tanks from Brian for the seahorse project. (Kim traded a coral.. so I won!!) he even whipped up some cool lids for me!!

383a448dfc3e750e091ec13d06f02448.jpg

Thank you to all the amazing people on the forum who made this weekend possible. And my addiction to grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

What a weekend! I don't even know where to start so I guess I will start with Saturday morning and continue through tonight.....because the fun of the weekend is spilling over to into the work week

OKAY let's be honest...I am now officially an addict . I have so many wonderful people to thank for this lets start with this gal right here..... Kim has been a wonderful teacher and has lead me to the forum and the amazing group that you all are....thank you Kim for letting me be a part of all of this!

d3b0aca83b2812e09f71e742ebe28fba.jpg

Now on to the goodies I brought home this weekend!

At our first stop I quickly fell in love with this beauty! Thank you Upscales for having us an for the fantabulous deals!!

d808f8fa35101e13f1dc9c1e047b25f9.jpg

Just got done feeding it...thanks Cherany for the tips...both my sun corals are eating like champs now

Next off to Golden Basket...where Rudy is always so welcoming! I could spend an entire weekend there and still not really see everything!! but I saw some super awesome zoas (stupid Iphone couldn't take good pics) and this beauty...So far it is getting along fine with Fred and Ginger!

87a892efc7321dc67ceb56a8965b77c2.jpg

Then off to Cuttlefish....where the fun just continued for hours =D (I may have had some sobering up to do As always I instantly fell in love with just about everything but came home with this amazing yuma (yes Karen I just had to do it!!) It has the most vivid green underbelly and turns up to show it off!

ea065cc9b887536f2e1003e2bb245d96.jpg

I also came home with a few other mushrooms....goodness I need a real camera.....(Birthday gift honey??)

oh but wait my weekend was just getting started....Sunday we went over to Tom's so he and Kim could do some trading.... and just hang out and a totally awesome mans house! And suddenly I've got stuff in the cooler too [emoji41]

60599f95f82637776c128bc2c6afb30a.jpg

08f25e7dac469ce9b6b543108594c296.jpg

Don't be hatin! I think they are beautiful [emoji173]️[emoji173]️

Since we were on that side of town we stopped at Bret's new shop Paradise Coral. And what a paradise it is turning into! Oh aaaaand I came home with Cindy Lou!

c4a1bf423c3b94f8bac107c374392b10.jpg

Who made it out of the rock today and was playing with the new family!

1c7bfa25cd253ef0b0026d1911d1b21c.jpg

Then to top off my love for everyone on the forum... tonight I scored 2 10 gallon tanks from Brian for the seahorse project. (Kim traded a coral.. so I won!!) he even whipped up some cool lids for me!!

383a448dfc3e750e091ec13d06f02448.jpg

Thank you to all the amazing people on the forum who made this weekend possible. And my addiction to grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so envious of your tank!!!

I LOVE the sun coral, and your beautiful fish!!

I can't wait to get some gorgonias for my tank, and bring home my babies!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You scored some awesome pieces there Sirena!  I didn't realize you snagged that suncoral - very nice. Glad to hear you have them eating. I will need to ask Cherany what her trick is. Also glad to see Cindy Lou is out and about enjoying her new digs. Such a beautiful fish. Can't wait to see the seahorse tank in all its glory!

BTW - tell Kim i heard what she traded for those tanks and yes, I do have some monti envy!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, albertareef said:

You scored some awesome pieces there Sirena!  I didn't realize you snagged that suncoral - very nice. Glad to hear you have them eating. I will need to ask Cherany what her trick is. Also glad to see Cindy Lou is out and about enjoying her new digs. Such a beautiful fish. Can't wait to see the seahorse tank in all its glory!

BTW - tell Kim i heard what she traded for those tanks and yes, I do have some monti envy!

Yeah Brian said he was going to tell you. I have another one Sean if you're interested.  It's funny how all Sirena has to do is drive and she just gets some things for free. Pdxmonkeyboy aka Brian it was very nice to meet you and see all your tanks. Sirena counted 9. Very nice work. He whipped those lids out in no time. He also had quite the collection of cichlids.

1 hour ago, Sirena said:

OKAY let's be honest...I am now officially an addict .

:EvilGrin:  We trapped another one, PNWMAS!  :highfive:

Now I see who snagged the sun coral from Upscales!  I looked at it and thought about it, then went back and saw it was gone!  I snagged a nice one at Golden Basket, though, so it all worked out. :) That sunburst anthias makes my heart go boom! :wub:  Mine is tucked in for the night, so I'll just gawk at pictures of yours till morning. :laugh:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

Yeah Brian said he was going to tell you. I have another one Sean if you're interested.  It's funny how all Sirena has to do is drive and she just gets some things for free. Pdxmonkeyboy aka Brian it was very nice to meet you and see all your tanks. Sirena counted 9. Very nice work. He whipped those lids out in no time. He also had quite the collection of cichlids.

Yeah - he couldn't resist taunting me a bit with his new score but I still have that Tierra del Feugo here so he better be careful. What is that saying... possession is 9/10ths or something like that ? Speaking of which, that guy has grown since I brought him home!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Yeah - he couldn't resist taunting me a bit with his new score but I still have that Tierra del Feugo here so he better be careful. What is that saying... possession is 9/10ths or something like that ? Speaking of which, that guy has grown since I brought him home!

Well he said if it wasn't doing well in his new system you may end up with it too.

10 minutes ago, albertareef said:

I didn't realize you snagged that suncoral - very nice. Glad to hear you have them eating. I will need to ask Cherany what her trick is.

It's $10 for the first secret, then $5 for each feeding tip after that. :laugh:

Actually, there's not that much to it. Use a pipette to reach each mouth and feed it whatever it will take. Mysis, krill, and NLS pellets are all great foods - the latter is hardest to feed without fowling the tank, since the pellets often roll away, but if you have larger fish than I do, they'll be happy to clean up the mess (my little guys are too small to manage the .5mm size, despite there being a firefish on the label). Plenty of other foods are great, too; those are just my go-to choices, since they're meaty and easy to get. There's a video on youtube of someone feeding silversides, and the coral actually consumes them :shock: - but I would bet money the coral pukes most of it up in the night, because I've overfed before, and that is what happens!  Talk about a mess in your tank! :puke:

If you have a sun coral that is only opening at inconvenient times, and the smell of food in the water does not cause it to open when you want, then you may have to give in at first, but you can push the feeding time ahead by 30 minutes each day to get where you want to be. If it's opening at 6 in the morning, you can get it to open at noon instead in just a couple of weeks, sometimes sooner. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Well he said if it wasn't doing well in his new system you may end up with it too.

At least I would get to admire it for a while.

Glad that worked out for you and Sirena was able to get her baby seahorse tanks ready. Sounds like we may have lots of them being raised around here soon between Bret, Andy and you. Hopefully Fred and Ginger cooperate ? Maybe the new suncoral will help put them in the mood!

• Like 1

On April 17, 2017 at 11:38 PM, Flashy Fins said:

It's $10 for the first secret, then $5 for each feeding tip after that. :laugh:

Actually, there's not that much to it. Use a pipette to reach each mouth and feed it whatever it will take. Mysis, krill, and NLS pellets are all great foods - the latter is hardest to feed without fowling the tank, since the pellets often roll away, but if you have larger fish than I do, they'll be happy to clean up the mess (my little guys are too small to manage the .5mm size, despite there being a firefish on the label). Plenty of other foods are great, too; those are just my go-to choices, since they're meaty and easy to get. There's a video on youtube of someone feeding silversides, and the coral actually consumes them :shock: - but I would bet money the coral pukes most of it up in the night, because I've overfed before, and that is what happens!  Talk about a mess in your tank! :puke:

If you have a sun coral that is only opening at inconvenient times, and the smell of food in the water does not cause it to open when you want, then you may have to give in at first, but you can push the feeding time ahead by 30 minutes each day to get where you want to be. If it's opening at 6 in the morning, you can get it to open at noon instead in just a couple of weeks, sometimes sooner. 

Thanks!  Yeah - it's the training them to fed at a convenient time that I struggled with but I have a feeling you and Sirena may be more patient than I. Good tips BTW! 

Edited by albertareef

5 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Thanks!  Yeah - it's the training them to fed at a convenient time that I struggled with but I have a feeling you and Sitena may be more patient than I. Good tips BTW! 

There are some other methods that work, too, such as putting it into a tupperware container that you can swirl insane amounts of food around in to get it to open. That method is good if you have one that is opening each day at, say, midnight, but you want to feed at 5 pm. Pushing ahead 30 minutes at a time would have you feeding in the middle of the night for weeks, which no one would want to do. It can be tricky to get it to open in the container, though, because the surprise of being lifted out of the tank and into a new space can scare it shut. I've done it a few times, and it has its advantages and disadvantages, but it's never been my preferred method.

There's also the method of placing half a soda bottle over the coral inside your tank, so you can feed without fish and other critters snagging the food, since sun corals take a while to swallow what you give them. I've personally never done that, because I've never had too many thieves about, and I've also never had the coral on the sand or flat rock - most rock is unevenly shaped and would cause food to escape the bottom of the cut bottle. But it seems to work fine for some people. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, milesmiles902 said:

I didn't even know those existed.

We should now be proclaim them as the solar eclipse coral.

They are out there and are a lot harder than the yellow sun coral........they are hard to train unlike the yellow ones. I have always liked sun corals and they are a great coral but do need to be fed. I tend to over feed my tanks.......so a good coral for me but have not picked one up yet.......