Need help starting back up a crashed reef tank

LadAShark

Purchased a fully set up reef tank from way down in North Eugene. I had seen a tiny piece of montipora broken off with what I thought was rot at the time. However, 5 days later I have realized that that was brown slime, and by purchasing the tank I led to a huge outbreak that basically wiped out all of the coral in my tank (several square feet of montiporas, acroporas, and several softies). In a couple weeks to 4 weeks time (after I cycle and recure the live rock) I will be restarting the tank, and was hoping I could get some help in the form of frags. Unfortunately I don't have a reef currently setup to restart the tank with. Once my tank gets going I'm willing return the favor!

P.S. the guy had a pistol shrimp in his tank too, which is still alive and about (which explains the hundreds of empty shells I found in the sand), if anybody wants him :doh:

22 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

What happened to the shark tank??

Ended up putting off the expansion of my house, so I am instead setting up a temporary pool in my garage. There was a possibility I was going to work in Turkey for the next six years (which is no no longer going toomo happenw ), so I had no choice but to put off my plans. As they say, life happens.

Anyway, the pool has a 600 gallon bestway pool as a base, and is lined with two layers of pond liner. It will be attached to a fluidized filter as well as a turf scrubber to guarantee ono metals or in tank algae growth.

Am surprised you remembered that I was going to build a shark tank. Unofortunately it didn't work out, but I haven't given up! The stocking will be some catsharks, a short tailed nurse shark, a live shark sucker, and a few other large fish. I happened to see a good deal in North Eugene on a 120 reef tank, and so I happened to get it. Doesn't mean the sharkies are called off. You can expect some updates on that in the summer.

Edited by LadAShark

2 minutes ago, LadAShark said:

Ended up putting off the expansion of my house, so I am instead setting up a temporary pool in my garage. There was a possibility I was going to work in Turkey for the next six years (which is no no longer going to happenw ), so I had no choice but to put off my plans. As they say, life happens.

Anyway, the pool has a 600 gallon bestway pool as a base, and is lined with two layers of pond liner. It will be attached to a fluidized filter as well as a turf scrubber to guarantee no metals or in tank algae growth.

Am surprised you remembered that.

Thanks for the update.  I actually was curious about that as well - guess it was a pretty memorable discussion!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Thanks for the update.  I actually was curious about that as well - guess it was a pretty memorable discussion!

Fair enough. It's actually not often that someone comes talking about a shark tank or about shark and goes through with it. Even more common is the "can I keep a bull shark in a 40 gallon tank?" To which I often reply "no I suggest a 4 gallon biocube"

Edited by LadAShark