Buy replacement Curve 5 pump or upgrade?

Aquanius

I have an approximately 120 total gallons between my DT and sump, and I have been using a curve 5 without any issues.  However after coming back from vacation it looks like the pump is now tripping the GFCI circuit and needs replacing.  Now I am in a dilemma, should I order a replacement pump, or pick up a larger skimmer?  I already have limited space in the sump because I picked up a relatively narrow one, something I am looking at trading out in the next couple of months, so footprint is kind of an issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd replace it, Curves are good skimmers.

Don't buy a vertex, the one sized for your tank, the 130i is NOT a good skimmer. I have one and had to replace the pump with a custom DC jebao to get it to skim properly. They are super finicky and the pump is loud. Can't speak to their larger models but stay away from the small ones

Reef Octopus has some really nice models right now if you want to replace it instead, worth checking out.

• Like 1

Upscales stocks replacement pumps, I think the curves are pretty solid skimmers, but if you want to upgrade I'd look into a vertex. They can be relatively small and work very well!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Thanks Randall, I will have a look to see if Upscales has anything in stock.

My vertex 200i is dead silent and makes dark lattes lol. If you look at the pump ratings the air pull is higher then those of other skimmers rated for larger tanks. Brs categorizes their equipment in good, better, and best. Vertex made it to the top!