Potassion - Brightwell Aquatics - Proper Dose

shaywood

Can someone check my math?  My tank tests out at 340ppm using Salifert Potassium test kit.  Recommended level is 400 - so I need to increase by 60ppm.  The instructions say, "Each ml of Potassion will increase the concentration of potassium (“[K+]”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by approximately 21 ppm". How much do I need to add?  Am I correct to say approx. 276ml?  My tank is approx 92 gallons stocked.

This seems like a lot.  The container I bought only holds 250ml.

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/potassiont.php

Shawn

Gosh. Those instructions are so hard to read. It should say (1mL / 21ppm * 1 gal), but it doesn't. My math worked out to be 262.857mL just like the rest of you.

I strongly advise for people to make their own solutions in the aquarium hobby. Not only is it substantially cheaper, but you know exactly what goes into it and can get just about the same accuracy with the right scale.

Something to point out, is that the "Potassion" bottle does have both potassium chloride (KCl) and potassium sulfate (K2SO4) in it. Probably to help keep those chloride and sulfate ions in balance. There is a similar topic about magnesium in the general discussion.

I've being testing dipping corals at 12000ppm potassium trying to kill some black slugs. SPS slim in the dip and recovers fine. High potassium will kill off all your fauna and fish. Not sure the long term effects of high potassium on corals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk