DIY Magnesium Source

dunpeal

Wanted to share my online shopping experience. Hopefully it can save someone a little time. Called around town for magnesium chloride/mag flake and nobody seems to have it in stock. Checked amazon, ebay, and all the usual places.

Ended up that TrueValue has safe step 8300 50 lb for 26.99. Best price by far of anywhere I could find. Most places are near the same price, but for a 20 lb bag. The 20lb bags are 16.99. The 26.99 includes shipping it to store for pick up. I didn't bother with it, but they are also offering $10 off for an order of $75 or more.

http://www.truevalue.com/product/Ice-Melt-8300-Mag-Chloride-50-Lbs-/32389.uts

Got epsom salt for ~$1 a lb off of ebay in 4lb boxes.

I haven't kept track, but I use something like a pound of mag a year. So I will have a ~50 year supply of Randy's mix magnesium. I will die before this is all gone. If someone needs a few pounds, hit me up. I live near Cuttle Fish in Hillsdale.

• Like 1

Can Epsom salts be the primary for mag supplement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Epsom salt alone results in an unbalanced level of sulfate and chloride. That's why you're supposed to mix magnesium chloride and magnesium sulfate at a particular ratio.

Can you survive with just magnesium sulfate? Perhaps. I'd imagine you'd want to be doing more water changes though to make sure your parameters don't get too far out of wack. I think Randy addresses using just Epsom in his Two Part article. I'd check there.

• Like 2