HYDRODYNAMICS - Ignore it and your tank will NEVER thrive.

N70SJ

I was SHOCKED at some of the things I learned about Hydrodynamics (Water Currents in our Reef Aquariums).

.............My 10 year experiment with Hydrodynamics and how if effects life in our Reef Aquariums..............

This post will try and share with you beneficial things which can have a huge impact on the success of your reef aquarium. There are SO many other things to be concerned with, which can make Hydrodynamics, easy to over look.

Such as:

Protein skimmers

Calcium Reactors 

Lighting

Dosing 

UV lights

Stable water Temps

Water Chemistry ie: PH, ORP, Specific Gravity

Trying to eliminate or limit Nitrates, Phosphates etc

Fighting Fish

Etc. etc.........

MY TEN (10) YEAR EXPERIMENT:

Over a 10 year period I looped into my 620 gallon system six (6) forty-gallon "TEST" aquariums.

My 500 gallon sump and 120 gallon display tank and these six tanks were all using the exact same water over the 10 year period.

I had the following in the 6 "TEST" aquariums:

Tank 1: Sand, SPS corals glued to golf-ball sized rock and some Macro Algae.

Tank 2: Same as above.

Tank 3: Bare-bottom, SPS corals glued to golf-ball sized rock.

Tank 4: Bare-bottom, LPS corals.

Tank 5: Baseball sized rock with Soft corals attached.

Tank 6: EMPTY

All the tanks were used Power-Compact lights. One Actinic, One White.

Got to go to work.......I'll continue later.

• Like 1

So, The thing that was most interesting is:

1. All the tanks shared the same 620 gallons of water which constantly had virtually undetected Nitrates & Phosphates.  

2. The main 120 Gallon Display Tank was filled with Soft, LPS & SPS and had no nuisance algae at all.

This is a video of the main 120 gallon display tank:

In the two 40 gallon tanks with SPS corals I slowed down the water flow.  Within a few months:

1. Red cyanobacteria began to grow. 

2. Different types of hair algae began to grow.

3. The SPS corals began to bleach out.

4. Within a year all the SPS corals died a slow death in both 40 gallon tanks while the display tank thrived.

In the two 40 gallon tanks with SPS corals I slowed down the water flow. Within a few months:

1. Red cyanobacteria began to grow.

2. Different types of hair algae began to grow.

3. The SPS corals began to bleach out.

4. Within a year all the SPS corals died a slow death in both 40 gallon tanks while the display tank thrived.

What would you say the turnover rate was in those tanks?

• Like 1

To make sure we are on the "same page" I understand "turnover rate" to be"

1. How many times the water in the "Display Tank" pass through the systems filtration system.

2. In my case the "Display Tank" and the six 40 gallon experimental tanks all had the same "turnover rate" of nine (9) times per hour.

3. The main Display tank had an additional 6,000 GPH being blown around by two (2) Tunze power heads.

4. The base-rock in the 40 gallon tanks were placed as rubble on TOP of the gravel and all power heads removed.

• Like 1

The corals in the main 120 gallon display tank were growing off of 2 large 50-60 pound base rocks with the bottoms cut flat and placed directly on the glass bottom with no gravel under them.  There were 2 other smaller 6-7 pound base rocks placed in the tank in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep fighting both cyano and hair algae. I definitely think I need more flow, but I just don't want to harm my LPS's.

Have you tested your RO water? My parents battled both of those for years, then I got into the hobby and suggested they do more frequent water changes and get new RODI filters and less than a month later they had no nuisance algae and haven't had any since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, The thing that was most interesting is:

1. All the tanks shared the same 620 gallons of water which constantly had virtually undetected Nitrates & Phosphates.

2. The main 120 Gallon Display Tank was filled with Soft, LPS & SPS and had no nuisance algae at all.

This is a video of the main 120 gallon display tank:

https://youtu.be/Gsvdj6KGvIE

Man that's pretty. My lfs has a gorgeous basketball sized colony of strawberry shortcake and it's literally getting blasted by a huge powerhead and it's polyps are just waiving in the breeze. I couldn't believe the flow it was not only handling, but thriving.

It's Jodi from TECO in Medford

• Like 1

Any difference in the lighting between systems? Same equipment, same intensity, same photoperiod?

Yes lighting was different ie:

120 DT had 2 - 400W MH & 2 - Power Compacts 97 W each

The six 40 gal tanks had two 48" T5's each.

Have you tested your RO water? My parents battled both of those for years, then I got into the hobby and suggested they do more frequent water changes and get new RODI filters and less than a month later they had no nuisance algae and haven't had any since.

I recently had my water tested and the phosphates were through the roof! I'm definitely gonna be buying water from something other than the crappy RO unit I have.