Plumbing overflow

Flash21

So recently I bought a 50 gallon tank that was all dialed in when the local reefer had it running at his place. I decide to clean up the plumbing and in return the overflow can not keep up. Also makes a ton of gurgling noise. ( I did turn the ball valves down and still) plus all the bubbles.

I did contact a couple locals for help or suggestions and I'm no plumber and this is pissing me off.

If any one has input or advice and or would like to come over before I set it up would be nice?

Thanks Chris

All of the plumbing is 1"

Returns are 1"

The overflow has a custom box with a 2" bulkhead to it. (If that makes sense.)

The return pump is a jaebo 840gph. I have it only on setting one outta the 8 settings.

I have pics but for me to put on forum is like getting pulled over by a cop impossible!

Chris do you have pics of what you did to help us understand better what is going on. What size plumbing are you using, what return pump, what kind of overflow and what size is the overflow. This information will help us help you!!!!

It's not hard to load them up.  Get a photobucket acct,load them up and then click on the one you want to load, you will have 1/4 choices on the right, click on "img" and then just paste 

URL=http:// s48.photobucket com/user/wanareef/ media/ Clipboard02.jpg.html  

This url becomes this pic below

Clipboard02.jpg

Edited by wanareef

You might have to do this

maxresdefault.jpg

or this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8vqrCOb7-2h5Tl4sK9is

to get this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvBvF_E66N4UHdLF6M_rC

Sometimes if you just stuff a air line down the middle and keep going until it stops is another way to silence it somewhat

What you did by adding all those extra pcs changed the orginal design

durso2.jpg

you want to keep it simple.

Edited by wanareef

Are you running the overflows at full siphon? My understanding is that you should have each return utilizing it's own return to the sump, rather than connecting them and then dumping a single return into the sump. Getting the overflows dialed it will be more difficult the way it is set up now. Also, using gate valves will make adjustments much easier, although ball valves can work. Obviously the guy before you made everything work, so there is a way. But I just don't know how exactly you have your overflows setup.

Higher- I'll do my best to answer:

So I have 2 returns and one over flow. All are on a ball valve. And I did play with them. Today I tried do 45s instead of the 90s on the overflow.

The guy that had the tank before me did come over and we played with the plumbing a little bit he had some great ideas. One involving the 45s.

I basically out of ideas but will play with it more tomorrow and the rest of the week.

I think Jeff doesn't need a plumbing party. I think I need the help. (Lol)

Chris, my advice again would be to get more m

Water over the weirs in that homemade overflow box or have one built or buy a new one, the pump you are using is much stronger than the mag 5, secondly run the flex tube into the sump instead of the 90's. Also from what I under stand is the original owner had the mag 5 also feeding an algae turf scrubber so gettin less water up to the tank from the return.

I need to give you guys props for helping me on and off he forum!

Through countless texts and posts!

Thanks a whole bunch!!!

It's not fixed yet but I hope if my test tomorrow does not work. I hope that Wanareef can make a trip up to me to get measurements for a custom box!!!

Thanks to all!

So a little update

Thanks to everyone that has helped me troubleshoot this darn tank. She's purring like a kitten.

I only tested it for 5 minutes or so. It reached all the way to setting three.

Sunday is the big move day for it.

Just need to pick up sand and 50 gallons of salt water. Wish I knew someone close by to get water.

A big thanks to Brian67 and Wanareef!

So a little update

Thanks to everyone that has helped me troubleshoot this darn tank. She's purring like a kitten.

I only tested it for 5 minutes or so. It reached all the way to setting three.

Sunday is the big move day for it.

Just need to pick up sand and 50 gallons of salt water. Wish I knew someone close by to get water.

A big thanks to Brian67 and Wanareef!

You bet Chris. Time to get that thing wet and start putting in the critters