Good Algae Scrubber/Scrapper for Acrylic Tank

katarian

I'm looking for a good algae scrubber/scrapper for my 55G Acrylic tank, something that will not leave any scratches.

Mighty magnet seems to have great reviews, but they are way out of my range.

I'll appreciate all the inputs.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

You definitely can't beat the Dobie pads, they're a necessity if you're going to own a acrylic tank and no scratches as long as you keep them out of the sand.

Some people will tell you to use magic erasers, however they do put very fine scratches in the tank and over time will create a haze on the panels.

• Like 3

I used to use Dobie pads but I switched to magic erasers, but my tank is glass, and they work very well also. I honestly don't have to mess with my glass much anymore but the tunze scraper works awesome for the flat panels and magic erasers or Dobie pads work perfect for the seams.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Edited by PowderBlue
  • Like 1

Dobie sponges work very well. You just get a regular magnetic cleaner and take the outside of a dobie sponge.

Here's a link on what I'm talking about:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963879&highlight=dobie+pad

I used them on my acrylic tanks and never had any scratches from using them.

I'll definitely look into them. Thank you :)

I use a plastic paint scrapper I got from Ace Hardware (pack of 3 for $5) and Magic Erasers. I can post pics of the scrappers if you wish.....I was just like you for over 2 years trying to find a way to scrape acrylic without scratching it, these scrappers have done exactly that. No scratches.....no algae.

Edited by Fragged

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/57ec2e17d86aa/IMG-20160928-WA0019.jpeg?

Is this the right one?

Yep those are them, disregard the not for aquarium use... I have no clue why they have that on there. I rinse mine before and after every use. I've been using them for 10+ years on my tank with no ill effects.

Best way to use them is by hand in the tank, You'll be amazed how quickly and easily you can cut through anything with them by hand. The outer layer is what does all of the scrubbing, inside they're just a piece of sponge.

I wouldn't recommend using scrapers unless they're made out of polyethylene which are not all that common and dull fairly quickly and will need to be cut on a router to be sharp again.

I still prefer the Dobie pad since you can use it to get into corners unlike a scraper.

• Like 1