The Great White

Yourmedic

Well, it's just about shark week and I must admit, I LOVE IT!!! It's entertaining to me, more so, I wish I could dive with some sharks, but I'm still getting the "no" from the mrs. . . LoL. Anyways, Something that always comes to my mind when shark week starts to gear up is the captivity of great whites. I'm not interested in the captivity as far as a monetary reason, but more for an educational. I find it fascinating and sad that they have had no true success in captivity. My mind begins to wonder on possible ways a great white could be kept and thrive, most of those ideas, coming from my Lego days. . . and by that, I mean yesterday! LoL

There is so much still to learn with everything under our water world, and so many people to learn from! I really enjoy this group and hope to get down for more meetings!!!  

What are your thoughts on shark week? How about great whites? How about your tanks, how are your tanks doing? Are your tanks doing better then you had ever hoped for, or, are you enjoying where they are, but had hoped for bigger and better? :happy:

• Like 4

P.S.~ I just became a "Supporting member"!!! :clap::clap::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Ha ha ! Thanks for being a supporting member! I have actually never watched shark week but do find great whites fascinating. I just don't have the time.

I have a Red Sea reefer 250 that I set up about 4 weeks ago but have not posted pictures up yet because I was having issues with my DSL camera linking up.

You are absolutely right there is so much we don't know about life in the ocean. There is so much I have learned just by having a tank. Most people think corals are pretty plants not animals.

• Like 1

Great whites can swim around 100 miles a day, and stress out really badly if there's anything blocking them from doing so. It has been attempted many, many times. We can successfully keep even a whale shark, but the great white shark just doesn't take well to captivity. They get irritable if they are enclosed, regardless of the size of the enclosure, and they will proceed to attack tankmates, after which they will quickly begin to die. You could call it a really REALLY bad case of claustrophobia.

Funny thing is I'm in the process of planning and setting up a shark tank. I have another post here about sharing shark/ray vitamins, but it seems that I might be the only person who will be keeping sharks in this community.

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 1

I would love to set up a shark tank, do you have your set up as a thread in the tank build? I'd love to check it out!

Great whites can swim around 100 miles a day, and stress out really badly if there's anything blocking them from doing so. It has been attempted many, many times. We can successfully keep even a whale shark, but the great white shark just doesn't take well to captivity. They get irritable if they are enclosed, regardless of the size of the enclosure, and they will proceed to attack tankmates, after which they will quickly begin to die. You could call it a really REALLY bad case of claustrophobia.

Funny thing is I'm in the process of planning and setting up a shark tank. I have another post here about sharing shark/ray vitamins, but it seems that I might be the only person who will be keeping sharks in this community.

Did this wrong on my phone, I meant to quote you so I could ask you, but that didn't work. LoL...

Even in the open ocean these things can get irritable. Look at this whopper.

cc855430-eb1c-454a-8ec4-2e96cb8d7c62.jpg
  • Like 1

Even in the open ocean these things can get irritable. Look at this whopper.

cc855430-eb1c-454a-8ec4-2e96cb8d7c62.jpg

I suppose, you could keep a fake great white shark anywhere as long as you had the space... Probably don't even need water...  :happy:

Hmmmm maybe I will replace my corals with all those neon fake plants to keep maintenance at a minimum...  :fingerscrossed:

Kim

• Like 2

I would love to set up a shark tank, do you have your set up as a thread in the tank build? I'd love to check it out!!

I'm still working on my setup. I intend to post it as soon as I get all the materials I need. After that the build should take less than a week to complete.

In terms of building a shark tank for catsharks/carpetsharks, important thing to remember as a guideline is width=1.5 times shark length, length=3ish times sharks length, height=shark's length. Well, for the most part. You could get away with 2 times as long and just a little wider than it is long, though you'd need to know what you're doing. Filtration is the harder part.

The dimensions of my tank are going to be 10' long, 3.5' tall, 3.5'-4' wide (this last one is being considered).