Bulkhead leak

Chief

Nothing like coming home to a bulkhead leak. 2 hours and a saws all later the bulkhead has been replaced. Giving it some drying time before filling the tank back up. I haven't had a leak issue in a long time. I hope my other bulkheads hold up. The seal was brittle in the bad bulkhead. The tank has been up for 10 years. Fingers crossed.

A little bit of water damage to a part of the stand that does not effect the structure. I added a 3/4 inch piece of plywood and a 3/4 inch layer of hard foam to the top of the stand. The original stand had a pressboard top. That's where the water damage is but it doesn't support any weight. At some point I will redo all of my plumbing.

I use a product called Plumbers Grease on the basket when installing bulkheads. I would highly recommend it. The product is inert and stands up to salt water to keep the gasket lubricated. I took down a tank after 5 years and the gaskets still felt slippery with the grease. It's about $3 for a little thing of it at Home Depot. usually takes 4-5 people there to find it.

• Like 3

I use a product called Plumbers Grease on the basket when installing bulkheads. I would highly recommend it. The product is inert and stands up to salt water to keep the gasket lubricated. I took down a tank after 5 years and the gaskets still felt slippery with the grease. It's about $3 for a little thing of it at Home Depot. usually takes 4-5 people there to find it.

I'll see if I can find some. I plan on a full re-plumb in the next year. I want to do everything right this time with true unions and a large dc pump for the closed loop. It will take a full tank tear down to do it.