Fish on Planes

I know I've moved and technically not in the pacific Northwest, but thought I'd provide a little hope for taking a fish with you on a plan. I think that travelling restrictions have lightened up a bit finally. I visited the Barrier Reef in Seattle on Monday and found a fish I really wanted. I called the airline I was flying and after a few minutes on the phone, I was told what I needed to do to carry fish on board.

1) have the fish bagged carefully at least double bagged. Keep the receipt if possible that shows the species and where purchased. Note....its ok to have more than 3.2 oz.

2) I had the bags filled with oxygen and put into a medium Styrofoam box that will fit in the overhead.

3) At security put the styro box through the x-ray and it will likely be pulled aside for additional screening. This is what happened for me. They asked what it was and verified it was alive in the water to allow more than the usual 3.2 oz. They did a couple extra tests with a swab and said your good to go.

Hope this helps anyone who wondered if taking fish in the cabin was possible.

Also every airline has different policies, I flew Delta this trip.

• Like 7

Thanks for the advice. It usually comes up more for coral when I have gone to big events. What fish did you get?

Thought your post was gonna be about the sequel to Snakes on Planes like maybe piranhas!???? I thought that would be humorous to see! Much better than sharknado!

Lol, I figured the title was catchy:) I bought a beautiful seeminly well adjusted clown tang. My last clown tang was a reincarnated satan in my reef. This one was in with a bunch of fish (less aggressive) and behaving.

Ohhh I love clown tangs but yes I was duly warned not to get one because they are like the gangbanger of the fish world. Would like to see between a clown tang and clown trigger who would back down. I can see why you went through all the trouble. A passive clown tang is a hard find.

They take a swab to the outside of the plastic bag the fish is in and just check that there isn't any sort of residue that would pose red flags from their machine. The bag was never opened by the TSA. If the fish is swimming around in the water, they assume the contents must be ok.

• Like 1