What Silicone is best and strongest for glass tanks?

GOBY

One thing I can tell you is that prep work is very important, and will give you the best hold. Clean the glass surfaces to be joined with either naptha, or mild acetic acid solution (vinegar water). This will help clean the surfaces of any traces of oils, providing a much better seal. I have always been sure that all surfaces are completely dry, the allow at least the recommended curing time before refilling the tank.

The original silicone aquarium sealer was made by Dow Corning (at one time, they used to have a guarantee on their product package). I have had no problems with this, or other brands , such as DAP, or GE #1. 

I can't really say what brand is better, but you may consider talking to these people about sealers. http://www.fullredguppy.com/silicone.html

• Like 1

Rtv103 or 108 silicone if you want black or clear.

Prep work is paramount for a successful seal. I use razor blades to cut out the old silicone and scrape as much as I can off the glass just make sure to not cut into the silicone between the panes of glass. When I have as much off as I can get with razor blades I switch to acetone and superfine steel wool to scrub any residue left. I then tape my lines for the seams, give any exposed areas a wipe down with rubbing alcohol let it dry and then lay my bead of silicone. Then immediately smooth with finger, caulk square or back of a spoon in a pinch then pull your tape and let cure for at least a week.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I have Lacquer thinner instead of acetate can i use that to clean up or will it break down the silicone?

I really don't know. Naptha is liquid lighter fluid., like Ronson.post-12884-0-40870100-1458449968_thumb.jpg It is fairly inexpensive. A little white or apple cider vinegar added to some water, also works very well.  I have repaired Hex tanks, using it for a cleaner.  Hex tanks require a very strong bond.

Lacquer thinner would probably work just need a solvent that leaves zero residue after it evaporates I know lacquer thinner is basically just acetone with some other stuff added to control evaporation time and such.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk