Anyone run UV Sterilizer?

StayPuff

Does anyone use the  Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer ?

I know my buddy his salt water tank he started running this in the past and it got rid of his massive ich.

Not only that his tank was like crystal clear all the time like bright clear.

I was wondering if anyone else here runs one and what you think about them?

I know these uv lights can kill anything i remember going to i think this last meeting and the guy was talking about uv lights killing all the bad in your tank.

So curious as to who else runs them here?

I've ran a turbo twist in the past, great clarifier of water and It think that's about all they are capable of depending on dive of tank. Meaning if you put them on a tank that's one tenth what they are rated for, you'll get higher levels sterilization.

Great information found on UV here.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/TMCUVSterilizer.html

I have one ( don't run it presently) and it surely sterilized my water :(

If you get a UV that actually "works" be cautious, they can really nuke the water column if you're unsure on dwell time etc.

I should add, that link may not be correct for the I formation but look through it, you'll see the hyper links to sections on UV , I believe in the past I read 2 or 3 before deciding on what UV I wanted to buy. I had done the read to get educated on UV, I wasn't intending on buying the UV I ended up with.

Good reading IMO

SO Brad.....in you opinion, what are the down sides of using UV? Could you expand on you " and it surely sterilized my water " are you saying the UV did some bad for you....Kill off something benificial??  Did the corals react badly to it?

Appreciate the response. Thanks in advance.

SO Brad.....in you opinion, what are the down sides of using UV? Could you expand on you " and it surely sterilized my water " are you saying the UV did some bad for you....Kill off something benificial??  Did the corals react badly to it?

Yes I'm curious to :)

Every time I think I want to try one I start reading up on what others have to say on them and end up shying away. Obviously there are good and bad with all products, but I had read a few reviews where people did note a slowing or stopping of coral growth with UV and once they took it offline everything was going again.

With a smaller tank like you have Staypuff, you won't be out a whole ton if it doesn't work out for you, so at least that's a positive from an experimental standpoint. Definitely read up from several sources, not everyone's tank responds the same. There are many factors that could contribute to your friends tank being super clear and clean.

Every time I think I want to try one I start reading up on what others have to say on them and end up shying away. Obviously there are good and bad with all products, but I had read a few reviews where people did note a slowing or stopping of coral growth with UV and once they took it offline everything was going again.

With a smaller tank like you have Staypuff, you won't be out a whole ton if it doesn't work out for you, so at least that's a positive from an experimental standpoint. Definitely read up from several sources, not everyone's tank responds the same. There are many factors that could contribute to your friends tank being super clear and clean.

Ya I would think that no tank is 100% the same. Bacteria and whatever else is in there.. I will just read up some more. Just because it works for someone or its a great idea I do love to dig deep and read scientific things about it.

I know at our last meeting the guy was talking about UV as well if I remember they do it on all there tanks.   Pretty sure I heard that. I will continue to read up on It I have heard more good than bad about it. But it don't take much bad for me to sway away from things

I had it plumbed were it recirculated the frag tank water more than the entire system so the lower water volume with the increased dwell time I'm sure sterilzed the water (level 2 sterilaztion and then some IMO ).

That was my error so not to blame the UV. I lost a fair amount of acros, mostly millis and others really bleached out for lack of all the beneficial bacteria, phyto etc in the water column. It was then I discovered the green water which I purchase (great product off topic).

I got the UV to combat some ich and it did its job IMO, BUT I didn't install it properly and may have not had enough flow through the UV I got-those TMC UVs are best IF what you rash is true and it makes sense, you gotta read those links if you're not familiar with UV or even if you think you are :)

UV is good if used properly and that's key

I have heard that it shouldn't affect anything because it has to pass through the UV  Like if there is alga on your rocks or whatever it is not going to hurt it.

Benefit Bacteria come on live rock live sand then to power heads and glass. None of this will affect any of that it is my understanding that only things that pass through the UV will get killed parasites.

If those DR of science people use it to kill parasites and clean the tank then it must be working for some.  But again I'm still on the fence.  Does the water look clean hec yes looks clear as drinking water.

The best information is the information asking people how it works and getting info and tossing it out there to save us all the pain :) To either help us or not.

I don't think it is 100% protection but it might be some protection :)