Looking to upgrade

Hey everyone,

Just back into reefing, barely anything in the tank yet, but already thinking I want to go bigger. Why start too small only to upgrade sooner than later. I'm currently in a 20gal Nuvo fusion AIO and want to double my display tank, add a sump, and get out of the AIO.

Any thoughts/pics on tanks 34 - 50gal that you've had good success with? Where to find/price them? Appreciate anyone's thoughts/ideas.

Thanks!

Josh

I have the same tank as you Josh. I was thinking of going with another IM all in one when I upgrade but would also check out the red sea reefers too.  They are pretty simple to set up and have a sump area.  If you live in the Portland area Jeff at Cuttlefish is a good person to talk to as well as Travis from Upscales.

If you are in the Salem area you should check out Garrett from the Premium Aquarium or OIAB in the Vancouver area.

If this is the route you want to go 40 breeder with a 20long sump is an excellent combination and really a lows you to open up stocking and filtration that otherwise would be unavailable. You can fit a rather large skimmer in a 20 long sump. The ghost over flows from synergy reef are really slick and save a ton of real-estate in your tank and can be run dead silent. AIO are great for Nanos 20 and under but any bigger than that and they limited filtration options to much. Cad lights also has a pretty sweet 50 set up that is worth checking out artisan2. Good luck with the upgrade and looking forward to seeing what you do =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 gal breeder always nice one i went 20,to 40 breeder to 50 to 55 to 75 now to 100 if you think its to small not dont even bother to do nothing and just get a little bigger.

As mentioned above the red sea is nice thats what i got the 350 they say its 91 but when i measure out the water and sump im coming up with 100 gallon gl :)

• Like 1

I would say go the Reefer 170 as it is about a 40 gallon display and a sweet set up.

If you are looking at a cost effective build then yes the 40 breeder but remember you will need to build a stand and also drill it or have it drilled. Drilling is easy if you have the tools. Just make sure the tank is not tempered.........

• Like 1

Yeah I've been eye balling the reefer 170. It is a very nice setup. Wish I had found it prior to what I've put into the nuvo 20.

I just built a stand actually, but all my tools are in NY where I just moved from. Came home for holidays, built a stand and then started looking through forums and decided I wanted bigger.

Hindsight is 20/20...

• Like 2

Yeah I've been eye balling the reefer 170. It is a very nice setup. Wish I had found it prior to what I've put into the nuvo 20.

I just built a stand actually, but all my tools are in NY where I just moved from. Came home for holidays, built a stand and then started looking through forums and decided I wanted bigger.

Hindsight is 20/20...

for sure the reefer 170 is also a outstanding set up.

guess it's been awhile since I've posted pics. I thought using dropbox I could have the image on my post, but I guess it's just a link. Or... I'm doing it wrong. . . LoL. Let me know if you are unable to see via the link and I will figure something out.