A little advise please

J & Jr

my water has always tested fine,the other day I got a Mag. test kit because I have never tested for that. tested the tank and it was a little low around 1080ppm so I got some Teck-M from kent dosed the tank and now my Cal seems to have dropped to around 280 And my dKH to around 8.0 they used to run about 400 and 9.3. I have been dosing kent cal., kent tech-M and reef builder for the last 4 days and the next day everything is back down.

any clue whats wrong? how do I get things back to normal?

All other tests seem fine, PH 8.0, Phos. 0.1, Ammonia-NO2-NO3 at 0.0,

thanks for any suggestions

Calcium and alkalinity are related; If you have too much calcium, this drives down alkalinity, and if you add too much of an alkalinity supplement, your calcium will drop. Magnesium helps prevent calcium precipitation, so it does help maintain levels, to a degree.

I found this online. You're in Zone 3. The author gives specific directions for how to move back into the right parameters: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Maybe also doing a small WC will also help...?

Hope this helps! :D

Keep us informed on how things are going...

Calcium and alkalinity are related; If you have too much calcium' date=' this drives down alkalinity, and if you add too much of an alkalinity supplement, your calcium will drop. Magnesium helps prevent calcium precipitation, so it [i']does[/i] help maintain levels, to a degree.

I found this online. You're in Zone 3. The author gives specific directions for how to move back into the right parameters: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Maybe also doing a small WC will also help...?

Hope this helps! :D

Keep us informed on how things are going...

Excellent info, and great resource!

Michael that was a great idea I did a small WC tonight with the water I had on hand, and mixed up some new thinking to do another soon. will test and supplement as needed before adding to the tank wait a day then checkand see where I'm at.

thanks everyone

Michael is right, this is always the proffered method, you should be shooting for a mag level of 1300, I keep mine at 1500, buffer your water prior to WC, this always makes life easy. Ryan has a great magnesium supp at his shop.