help with lighting for yumas...

reefgeek84

Well, I am setting up my small cube to house fish and Yumas...I have never really gotten into teaching myself about the care for these things. From my understanding, like tend to prefer higher light over other mushrooms, but how high of light, would a couple of cheaper t-5 fixtures work or do I need to use one of my 150w halides...I am really trying to avoid using a chiller, so that is why I would like to not go with a halide...

Any help and info. would be great, thanks.

Mine are on the bottom of a 22"-24" tank with the 400w MH being 8-9" above the water. Doing fine' date=' but not really reproducing fast.[/quote']

Interesting...do you feed them at all? I have heard that feeding them may help with reproduction, or do you think alot of that has to do with light?

Mine are on the sandbed below my T5s. I do not target feed but they catch food i feed the fish sometimes. If you really want them to spread, just cut a small piece of the foot with a razon blade. The small piece will become a new ric. Or you might get lucky like me and have 1 yuma walk around giving you tons of little babies. The key is keeping them contained on their own rock.

Mine are on the sandbed below my T5s. I do not target feed but they catch food i feed the fish sometimes. If you really want them to spread' date=' just cut a small piece of the foot with a razon blade. The small piece will become a new ric. Or you might get lucky like me and have 1 yuma walk around giving you tons of little babies. The key is keeping them contained on their own rock.[/quote']

Thanks...Looks like I am going to go with a t-5 set up...

Its too bad heat is a concern. I think that they look best under halides. They should grow well either way. Cutting a piece of the foot is what I have done with all my mushrooms to get them to reproduce. It works great 95% of the time. Sometimes it does nothing. pc's are nice because of the cost to run them and the low heat, but rics are so colorful they just aren't done true justice without a nice halide IMO. Goodluck and I look forward to seeing lots of pics.

Garrett

Its too bad heat is a concern. I think that they look best under halides. They should grow well either way. Cutting a piece of the foot is what I have done with all my mushrooms to get them to reproduce. It works great 95% of the time. Sometimes it does nothing. pc's are nice because of the cost to run them and the low heat, but rics are so colorful they just aren't done true justice without a nice halide IMO. Goodluck and I look forward to seeing lots of pics.

Garrett

Yeah, I would like a halide, but I just do not have the money for a chiller at this point in time...wish I did, the chiller, I have I thought would work, but I was wrong on the size of it, so it will not work...

it is going to be a bit before it gets going...