cheap arogonite

badguitarist

so i am in the process of turning part of my dads greenhouse into a coral farm (i have no clue if its gonna be just for fun or if i will actually make any money of it but thats beside the point right now) what i am having a hard time finding is a cheap source of aragonite sand. down here in corvallis there isnt a good source of it for cheap. and neither of the local home depots even know what southdown sand is. i am just wondering if anyone knows of a good source anywhere in the area and yes i am willing to drive so anywhere within a few hours of corvallis would be great.

thanks, Kyle

I don't know what you mean by cheep, but I bought my sand from WAVES in the Portland area, it was $1/lb. Joel has both coarse and fine.

Maybe the stores in Salem have sand??? I have not asked.

Katz (in salem) has live sand for sale at $.90/lb, and live rock for $2/lb. In the classified section. I don't know how much she has.

Welcome to the site. I hope the coral greenhouse idea works out for you. I am sure that you can find some people here to buy some of your product when you get some. :)

dsoz :)

• 1 month later...

one of the LFS in salem had southdown. I believe it was advanced. I think he had it for 50lbs for $25. maybe get even better deal if you buy that much (a ton).

Impur- i didnt know you could use regular silica sand in an aquarium? I had heard that it has no buffering effect (which i knew) and also that it was possibly harmful to the livestock? i learn something new every day i guess...