Magnets again

siskiou

Did anyone try to use them yet?

I just tried it with my mjmod, but it's a complete failure.

Six of them aren't strong enough to hold it to the glass, even turned off.

Anyone have thinner glass/acrylic who wants a few more for a frag or something?

Six (pairs) of them are glued to two acrylic strips, with felt protection on the magnets that might work as a pump holder for somebody with a smaller tank.

Mine are working for a frag tray nicely. They were a disappointment for the pump holders for me too. I've voiced my displeasure to them...

I have an email back from a few companies. I'm going to order some magnets that will hold 10+ pounds. They will not be coated however.

Well, I had to abandon the magnets for the frag rack, too.

It started to sag alarmingly with 5-6 frags on it.

Fortunately I had enough egg crate and acrylic scraps lying

around to fashion a nice hanger.

My previous one was too short and I didn't want to shock the

frags by having them too high up in the tank.

Well, I had to abandon the magnets for the frag rack, too.

It started to sag alarmingly with 5-6 frags on it.

Fortunately I had enough egg crate and acrylic scraps lying

around to fashion a nice hanger.

My previous one was too short and I didn't want to shock the

frags by having them too high up in the tank.

So how many did you have on it? And how many frags were on it?

Thanks!

Here is an email i rec'd from a different company. He suggested some much larger magnets

Hi Miles,

Thank you for contacting us. You will need some pretty strong magnets for this purpose. It works well to use one of our large rubber-coated magnets for the outside of the glass as they will prevent sliding. You can see them all on this page: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=164. Either the BX0X06BR or DX08BR should work. For the inside resin-coated magnet, our BX0X08 block should provide plenty of holding force. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Kevin Stayer

K&J Magnetics, Inc.

www.kjmagnetics.com

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: magnets

To: contactus@kjmagnetics.com

Date: 7/18/2007 7:02 PM

Hi there, I'm in need of some pretty strong magnets. I will be encasing them in resin and they will be used to hold pumps in my aquarium. So they will need to hold thru 1/2" glass as well as the resin, preferably holding up to 1 pound, possibly slightly more. Could you suggest a magnet that might suit my needs?

Thanks for your time.

Miles

I am still in the test phase with the last batch to see what is the rate of degradation of the plastic coating and if there is any toxic or other result. I also want to see how they are affected by a few different forms of algae. when that is done i will work on using them for frags. I may decide to coat them entirely in a thin coat of silicone just to be safe. I am also looking at something to put on the outer plastic coating to reduct the propensity of them to slide under weight.

I don't think the plastic coating is anything to worry about.

Good idea on the speaker, i don't have any old ones though.

I placed my order for 2 of the magnets that have 85lbs pulling force at K & J magnets. I'll report back.

Or try old hard drive magnets. If you have a HD crash on you, tear it apart. There are some really strong magnets in there. We use them to hold up papers on the 'fridge because no other magnet will hold up that much garbage. LOL You can try them on the outside of your tank. THey may not be pretty, but they are strong.

dsoz