Stray volts in my tank help.

Zmcclinton63

Sorry about your troubles,I don't like dealing with electricity.Be careful and be sure to have company around when you mess with things.I would unplug everything and check the lights first for water contact. Hate to say it but it could be anything so look careful for signs wear and tear.I believe that there is a device you can buy a hard ware store that will check for incomplete circuits.Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

Edited by kireek

Ah bummer.

If you are feeling current, there is a connection between a power source and ground through you.  

GFCI should have tripped, you should invest in one and a grounding probe.  Life is too short, don't shorten it more!

Unplug everything.

Put one end of the volt meter matty mentioned in the tank, one to ground.  Set it to AC volts.

Plug things in one at a time until you see voltage or amps.  

Once you find the faulty item, unplug it and continue.  Leave everything unplugged that drew current and replace it.

Good luck and heck yeah have someone around when you do it. 

• Like 2

Ya, that will help protect you for sure, a grounding probe is a good idea too.

One thing to check, if the gfci loses power, and power is restored, does the GFCI stay on or off?

Some of the portables stay off, which is terrible if your power goes out for 10 seconds while you are gone.

Easy to test, get it hooked up, flip the breaker, wait 10 seconds, flip it back on.  If the tank comes back on you are good.

• Like 1

We have a multi-test meter for use to paid club members, but you can buy an inexpensive one at Harbor Freight for arounf $5.99. I got mine free with a coupon.

It sounds like you problem is more than can be eliminated with a GFCI or a Ground Probe. I use and recommend both. Find your electrical short with the multi-test meter, and deal with it. It may be faulty equipment. Ground your negative lead to a ground circuit or a cold water pipe. Do not follow some idiot on YouTube's instructional video, to put one lead in the tank and one in a hot extension cord!! I told them to remove the video... it could result in someone's death!