120 Gallon Tank on 2nd Floor

Zwickm

Have any pictures of the framing before the sheet rock went up by chance perhaps from previous owner?

Can you run it perpendicular to the joists instead of over 1 or 2?

Can you build the stand with studs right over the floor joists?  

If so, personally I wouldn't sweat it.  My office tank on the second floor is a 240 + 100 gallons of sump.  This happens to be centered over a massive laminate beam though, I mean massive.  It is also over the garage, and we have the option to add a post.  So I am definitely not recommended 340 gallons in 16 square feet in general, but it worked out in my case.

What is below it?

Good luck!

PS:  There are tons of good posts out there that say it won't work, so keep it in mind, it is a risk for sure but one I would probably take given the conditions above.

• Like 1

If your builder used and built to code, your second floor has the same 40 lbs/sq. ft. designed load as the main floor.  The other issue is water damage, but you could control that like they do with second story or attic HVAC installations, use a drain pan.  You can make it slightly larger than the stand and paint it black.  You can glue trim over it as well.  It has a drain you will have to put through the wall, or run to a drain.  I have seen one person using a condensate pump to get any water outside.

I can post pics in a couple weeks when I have the keys. I figure it'll weigh around 1500lbs total, giving a bit of extra in case.

I wanted to go with a 48x24x24 size but I'm thinking a longer 120g would be better since it'll span more floor joists.

I would put a water proof rubber material underneath to prevent water from touching the floor.