HELP WITH SPS PROBLEM

wegotjs

I came home from the meeting today and was looking in my frag tank and noticed one of my digi

Frags was looking like it was being eaten . I found one of these on the eaten part of the coral

then looking around noticed I had more of them on other sps. What are they and how to kill them or

am I way off and it's something else doing the damage. In the secound pic you can see two a smaller one on the left.

Jon

post-192-141867767145_thumb.jpg

post-192-141867767148_thumb.jpg

post-192-141867767214_thumb.jpg

I had AEFW and redbugs, not monti eating nudis. But treatment is similar. You need to QT all montis for 4-5 weeks. Weekly dips with TMPCC and scraping or gluing over eggs.

Good luck.

AEFW or monti nudis whats the difference. DOH! lol

You still knew the treatment methods.

I only have about 6-7 monti frags in that tank so I don't see what qurantine will do for me.

Do they lay there eggs on monti's or ?, If they lay there eggs on monti's, since I don't have any colony's i'm worried about in there it is really a QT .Can someone give me a idea what the eggs look like.

I found 4 last night and 1 this morning and picked them off.Look's like dips don't work all that good but I am going to try it anyway sure can't hurt .

Thanks for all the help.

I guess I probably shoud read that whole article. It look's like they do lay there egg's everywere. I can pull all the rock and most of the non-monti frags from that tank and put them in my Display tank.

Hopefully I can starve them to death.

Its the process of removing food from the nudis. You will have much better success with QT than anything else. Remove and treat, then QT, then any in the display will die off from lack of food. Otherwise you will be chasing eggs for months.

Seems to be hit and miss. I haven't read about anything that actually kills the nudis, just things that stun them enough for them to fall off the coral. You'll need a strong iodine dip and some blasting of the corals to get the nudis off, then manually inspect for eggs. I would inspect them daily for eggs and glue over them or scrape them off, and do weekly dips for the adults.

they are a major PITA to get rid of. I just successfully got rid of them by letting the tank crash and all of my montis are dead. LOL

How many montis do you have in the tank?? If you have other montis and you noticed damage on the digitata first that is kind of odd. I have witnessed them in several systems and they always seemed to target caps and encrusting montis first.

manual removal and my six line did keep them at bay...but i never did get rid of them. they suck

I have about 6 encrusting Monti's , and few digi's in there. I pulled all the live rock and zoa frags out of the tank. The only thing's left are a couple acro's and some birdnest and a few thing's that will die if I put them in my display. They did go for the encrustings first and on one digi. I have some cap frags but haven't seen any on those. I picked about 5 off the first day I noticed them and found one more tonight on a false superman. I have been searching all corals 3 times a day for the bugger's, hopefully I can remove all of them. I bought some encrusting monti's from wave's a month ago or so ( they weren't doing very good) and just this week the really started to get color back then this happens and they start getting eaten.

ANYONE HAVE PICS OFF THE EGG"S

The only thing that has went in that tank in the last 3 month's is some frag's from a guy in Eugene

and a couple from waves.They do seem to be the hardest thing to get rid of just because they lay egg's so quickly. Some report's say within 7 day's of being hatched they start incubating a new

batch off egg's. I tried flatworm exit ( saultas said he has had good sucsess with it) we will see how it work's.

Oh no! I got some stuff from Josh in Eugene as well. I also got an encrusting monti from Joel. I better start watching more carefully. ARGH!!! I hope I don't get these buggers as well.

Good luck with the battle.

dsoz

I bought stuff from Josh and I do not have the nudis. Josh's tank had some huge montis in there and all of them were doing great when i was at his house. Not saying it didn't come from him, you never know, but i would have spotted nudi damage if i saw it.

I bought stuff from Josh and I do not have the nudis. Josh's tank had some huge montis in there and all of them were doing great when i was at his house. Not saying it didn't come from him' date=' you never know, but i would have spotted nudi damage if i saw it.[/quote']

That is good to know.

The question then becomes WHERE did Wegotjs get the nudis???

Again- good luck. If there is something I can do to help, just let me know.

dsoz :)

I had monti nudies about 6-9 months ago, not sure if that was when you bought something from me. I had them only in the frag system. I simply threw away all the monties in the tank (like 7-10). I havent seen any since.

I keep a strong eye out for them, but anything is possible, I have corals coming and going all the time.

I had monti nudies about 6-9 months ago, not sure if that was when you bought something from me. I had them only in the frag system. I simply threw away all the monties in the tank (like 7-10). I havent seen any since.

I keep a strong eye out for them, but anything is possible, I have corals coming and going all the time.

Joel- I was not implicating you when I asked the question. I just hope that Wegotjs can get a handle on the problem, and that the menace does not spread any further. It seems that there has been several people that have had this problem in the last couple of months.

6-9 months would have been BEFORE I even set up my tank. So I didn't get anything from you when you had the problem. I guess that is good news.

I guess that is one of the hazards of being in this hobby. The lesson for me is to QT pieces when we get them. I just wish that I had unlimited resources to set up an SPS QT tank with high enough lights that they don't die while under observation.

This is where I wish I would have got that AP w/150w HQI lights. It would have made a nice QT tank for corals (and anemones, and clams, and... fish!).

dsoz :)

To my knowledge no monti munchers in either of my tanks prior to my portland trip, have many montis and have never had evidence of the nudis, wouldn't sell/trade anything I suspected to have nasties. However, traded some corals in Portland at the Saltwater Fantaseas, and ive got em now. Anythings possible, could have had them before but if so they weren't doing anything destructive. A maricultured encrusting montipora showed evidence of something going on, removed it from my tank and dipped it, lots of the buggers floated away. Further inspection revealed a bazillion eggs on the rock the coral was mounted to. Threw most of it away and am waiting with bated breath to see if by some miracle they are gone. Haven't seen any since, no damage to any other montis in the tank, fingers crossed. Don't have to many montis in my frag tank, most are in show tank. Definately no nudis in show tank. Hope it wasn't me, don't think it was, but can't be sure. Frag tank on lockdown. Good luck with eradication!!

I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone. Joel knows I love him and his tanks have alway's been pest free for me.I can't say they came from Josh either as i had his frags for 5-6 weeks at least before I saw any damage.I had 2 previous small frags that I have had about a year so maybe they have been

in there the whole time, and they just were never noticed. Thing's happen in small closed system's .

I remember a article about a couple of month's ago at a big 50,000 Gallon aquaruim that got ich and they were the most extensive people about Quaratine that I know . Everything got Quaratined and they still got it.

I'll deal with it and happily buy again from Waves and Josh,.

Jon