Hello, I'm new ^^

Squidapus

Heya everyone!

I just started cycling my tank about 2 weeks ago and I totally can't wait to get fish. I am friends with Sasquatch and he is teaching me how to set up and care for my tank. Somehow I have fallen in love with Xenias (or as I like to refer to them, "winky things"), even though he says they are not exactly very popular.

Sasquatch says he will be attending a meeting tomorrow and if anyone has any white pulsing Xenia (or I read that they can come in blue?) that they're willing to part with, please bring it. I don't really like being that person who asks for handouts, so I'll send him with a little something, but I'm not completely against the idea of free Xenia. ;) I'd accompany him to the meeting myself, but unfortunately I work all day and cannot make it. :(

It's a little short notice, I know, so in that instance, I can also meet someone in Beaverton. I don't have a car, but we could probably meet at World of Wet Pets, off of Beaverton-hillsdale highway, since it's in walking distance for me.

Getting the Xenias is something I want to do before I buy any fish and hopefully it will make my tank look less empty. Trying to combat the urge to name the rocks... ^^;

She is new, but I've gotten the tank set up and a few Zoas and GSP..

My Xenia collection is gone but that's what she wants a full tank of

I'm going to be at the meeting if anyone has some, I'm even willing to buy some if anyone can provide some clumps

Welcome. Also Keep in mind what Kim mentioned, Xenia are in reality a weed, they grow everywhere and over everything. It's a great coral to start out with though and my recommendation is putting it somewhere isolated from other corals to watch it grow and see how you like it. In this instance if you decide you don't, it can easily be removed. Good Luck!

I have mine on its own rock at least 3" away from any other rock. Its easy enough to cut the growth off the sand, but I have had mine drop babies before and now I have a small colony growing on my GSP colony rock. 

PS if you ever want some Xenia or GSP I usually have a frag or two laying around in my sump/ frag rack.

Hey Squidapus! Welcome to the PNWMAS Forum and the hobby! I can certainly give you some Xenia from my refugium. They are interesting to watch as they pulsate, but can takeof a tank! :) We hope you are enjoying the forum, and I am looking forward to meeting you at our next meeting! We should have the location, date, and time posted in the Meetings and Events section very soon.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :) I don't have any pictures of the tank yet (there isn't much in it, anyway), and I will definitely keep that in mind about the Xenias. Someone did donate a few (I believe their name was Gill and Fin? Thanks a ton, by the way!) and I have them in the corner of the tank. Sasquatch has warned me about how they take over, but hopefully I've got them in a good spot for keeping them under control. How fast do they tend to grow?  Depending on how quick they are, I may eventually take someone else up on their offer to get some Xenia/GSP off their hands. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...