Reactor or dosing?

matty

Not a closet sump, I just have all of the electronics in the closet. I could probably fit a larger tank in the corner of the closet, can the lines run a few feet?

Yeah you can run 50ft of line, it'll make no difference... You'll just need to purge the line initially to get all of the fresh air out.

So I think I will go with the reactor I linked above but what about the bottle, regulator, and solenoid? Seems to be a lot of options out there, any suggestions locally or on line?

The same company also makes a regulator for the nano set up you linked.

I actually bought all the stuff from BRS years ago to dose but when I got it I was just overwhelmed :unsure:  I bought a CA reactor and never looked back.

On my new tank now I do not plan on that much SPS so I am not to worried. I think it boils down to how much you want to do and how much time you have.

On my new tank now I do not plan on that much SPS so I am not to worried. I think it boils down to how much you want to do and how much time you have.

yep, agree 100%.

My lights come on at 6am. Hand dosing usually takes me 20-45 min with feeding/cleaning/fragging/repairing. Included.

I think a lot has to do with How BIG is your all swing daily?

If you swing less than 1pt dKh(from 9 to 8 for example), then hand dosing is quite simple...especially if your are slightly OCD:)

Edited by Mandinga

Do you have a proof of concept or is this something completely new you've come up with? Let me know if you have a cad drawing or something similar and I might be able to help you with getting that prototype built.

It is a completely new design. The traditional reactor has the problem to maintain the stable output due to the unstable pressure inside of reactor chamber. I am going to open it up....then you don't need a $200 regulator as the reactor chamber will be ambient pressure. i don't want to hijack this thread, i will open up another thread once my prototype is under the test. I have try the concept, it works.

• Like 3

just correcting myself, i meant the traditional reactor has a unstable pressure inside the reactor due to the CO2 dissolution and recirculation pump drift. That forces us to purchase an expensive regulator to compensate the various pressure in the reactor. The new design will have a stable pressure at both upstream and downstream of the regulator. so the regulator doesn't have to be that "smart". 

• Like 2

Another option you may not have thought about is a kalk reactor or stirrer.

Calcium reactors are for high demand tanks, with only LPS and two clams you can meet all your calcium and alkalinity needs with a simple cheaper solution.  The only downside is you can only dose up to your daily evaporation, and need a timer so it doesn't add the solution all at once.  It also raises PH and has worked great for years in my tanks.

I ended up finding a trade locally for an Aquamaxx nano so I will try that out. If I find I don't need it right away, I will store it away and have it when I do. I hope to have a few more clams so I think it will come in handy. 

• Like 1

I ended up finding a trade locally for an Aquamaxx nano so I will try that out. If I find I don't need it right away, I will store it away and have it when I do. I hope to have a few more clams so I think it will come in handy.

If demand is lower than the output, just put your co2 on a timer. Some people don't run them at night to keep pH up anyways. It's a really flexible option, I think you'll like it!

• Like 2