Dinoflagellates__Please help

Tommy

Hello everyone,

I need some major help. I've been battling Dino for about a year now and I'm not having any luck beating it. I'm not sure how I originally got infected. The tank that I originally had and transferred all my life stock over from never had Dino. I came from a 55 to 120 gallon.

Things I've tried:

1- Hydrogen Peroxide. I dosed the recommended amount and even over dosed but this did absolutely nothing. I think it killed off all my pods, I haven't seen any pods for the longest time. I'm using the Dollar Tree hydrogen peroxide btw.

2- I did 3 to four 4 days blackout 3 differet times. This temporarily killed them off for about a day but it came back immediately after. My corals didn't like this method either and some of the corals did die.

3-Stopped water changes for months. 2 months was probably the longest but Dino still thrived.

4-I tried blowing off the Dino from the rocks as much as I could but it ways came back.

Are there any experts out there, can you please give me tips on how to beat this?

Sorry I meant to say that looked around for a long time and I liked this idea a lot. I have to tell you I had never heard of this before but now at least I have another thing to worry about, thank you soooo mucchhh. (Just kidding)

Let's hope each of the 2,000 different kinds don't have a specific way to snuff them out. I sure hope you find something that works for you. Good luck. Keep us posted

Oh man thank you for the link! lots of good information in one place and some new methods that I haven't yet tried.

I have to say though that whatever strain I have is very persistent. In my 3 day black out period the Dino would suspend in the water column like dirty brown water and my skimmer couldn't skim it out for some reason.

Edited by Tommy

Dinos are a real pain. I dealt with them for 3 months in both of my tanks. They killed several of my acropora colonies before I got them to go away.

There are a few things that I did that I think helped:

1) I reduced my nitrates to about 5 ppm. I used carbon dosing (RedSea NoPox) to do it. I don't recommend bringing your nitrates down below 5 ppm with NoPox, since you can crash your tank if you let them get too low and then continue dosing. If you have a refugium, then some macroalgae would be a good option.

2) Add a UV sterilizer. American Aquarium Products on this forum sells some nice ones. UV sterilizers really seem to help, but only if you get a good one.

3) A clean-up crew of Fighting Conchs will help somewhat. These and other conchs are the only inverts that I know that will eat the stuff. They also will eat cyanobacteria, which is really remarkable! I have groups of 5 in each of my 66 gallon tanks, and they are doing really well.

4) Having good flow helps, but I don't think it is as important as the above things that I did. I added a Gyre to one of my tanks, but I don't think that did too much.

5) I tried dosing peroxide, but that didn't seem to do too much for me, and it seemed like it was stressing my corals.

Good luck!

Edited by Lexinverts

Yup just finally got over my battle with them, they suck. ^ If you notice what Lexinverts is stating he pretty much sterilized the water which is what I had to do. I have yet to figure what exactly the little bastards are feeding off of but you essentially have to remove that food source.  I would suggest removing your entire sand bed or substrate to bare bottom, keep it vacuumed clean daily, using a turkey baster to blow off all rocks, ensure you have a protein skimmer running, and run Carbon and GFO; that's what it took for me to finally kill it, it was daily maintenance.