Opinions on flow

ReefNoobie

I have a new 65g and was wondering what kind of flow was needed for an lps/softie dominated tank. I have zoas, and xania as of now. Xania seems to be blowing around a bit too much but I know they will put up with just about anything. It's my zoas I'm worried about.

I have two tunze (I believe) 6015, smaller PH that move around 400-450, I have them on opposite sides of the tank pointing directly at each other. I also have two return lines at the top coming from sump moving prob around 500+ each but facing toward the top to agitate the water and going for the shimmer we all live.

I was thinking of either getting two MP10's or a single MP40. Any thoughts on current flow or the two MP10's?

What kind of flow is ideal for zoas and softies? Just looking for turnover or a little bit more aggressive than just water turnover?

I know that smaller zoas usually have VERY low flow and all seem to love it, when I first put them in my tank they both opened up pretty quick, than they both seemed to close up an hour or two later so I wonder if there is a bit too much water movement around them.

I just went and unplugged one of them and will see how they look in the morning but would like some opinions about the MP's.

Thanks for all the input and forgive the noob question!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I had a mp-40, mp-10, and about 1000gph return pump on a 60g cube and I never heard any complaints from the coral. Imo mp10 are for nanos after about 6-12 inches from the pump they really loose there power.

I will keep that in mind. It seemed like they might be small but I am new to the hobby and getting advice from long time reefers. Thank you and I will consider MP40.

Should a 65 have one or two mp40's? I'm mainly concerned about dead spots in the tank where detritus settles.

If money is not a problem I would get two mp40 that way you can keep the rpm down (much less noise) and you can use them later on other builds (it will happen lol) but two mp10 will work and is a lot cheaper. Also look at the jebo pump the rw series they work very well and are cheap I have 4 in my tank!

• Like 1

If money is not a problem I would get two mp40 that way you can keep the rpm down (much less noise) and you can use them later on other builds (it will happen lol) but two mp10 will work and is a lot cheaper. Also look at the jebo pump the rw series they work very well and are cheap I have 4 in my tank!

I would definitely go with the two MP40's than, no reason to skimp in this hobby! U get what u pay for! They are the best pumps out there, and from what I understand the closest you get to natural movement and strong but soft and gentle current. That's the part that got me interested, strong, but gentle!

I have had great success with low/medium flow....mainly low flow.  Just use the return pumps with spin heads....  creates enough flow for the zoas.  That's for both my nanos...  JBJ 12g and 29g.

I believe MrBret had a single MP10 on his 60g solena... that was plenty of flow for that tank for everything.  He could better chime in on that.

I have had great success with low/medium flow....mainly low flow. Just use the return pumps with spin heads.... creates enough flow for the zoas. That's for both my nanos... JBJ 12g and 29g.

I believe MrBret had a single MP10 on his 60g solena... that was plenty of flow for that tank for everything. He could better chime in on that.

I'll have to check out what spin heads are, I have a very powerful external return pump I have dialed way back, and it would be nice to turn it up a little but be able to put more heads on it or make more returns than just two. I'll check that out, thank you!

I typically use less flow, but I know some people use higher flow set-ups to keep detritus up and out by the skimmer. I would recommend making some circular flow from having the pumps on opposite sides of the tank, one in the back, and one in the front. Pointed to the front and back of the glass.

Here are suggested turn overs:

Suggested COMBINED (filters and circulation devices) Aquarium Turnover Rates
(per hour):

• 8-10 times for an average fish only aquarium
  • 10-12 times for an average FOWLR or very basic reef tank (FOWLR = Fish only with live rock)
  • 14-20 times for an Advanced Reef Tank
    With Acropora and Montipora coral, which are often at the top of the reef, these can require as high as 40-50 times per hour combined circulation!
    DO NOT make the incorrect assumption that the wave activity at the top of the reef means corals, anemones, etc that live in more protected areas of the reef need the same flow rates as Acropora and Montipora corals.

Here's a video on different flows from different power heads. I would also recommend the SunSun line for a more economical quality pump.

• Like 1

I typically use less flow, but I know some people use higher flow set-ups to keep detritus up and out by the skimmer. I would recommend making some circular flow from having the pumps on opposite sides of the tank, one in the back, and one in the front. Pointed to the front and back of the glass.

Here are suggested turn overs:

Suggested COMBINED (filters and circulation devices) Aquarium Turnover Rates

(per hour):

• 8-10 times for an average fish only aquarium
  • 10-12 times for an average FOWLR or very basic reef tank (FOWLR = Fish only with live rock)
  • 14-20 times for an Advanced Reef Tank

With Acropora and Montipora coral, which are often at the top of the reef, these can require as high as 40-50 times per hour combined circulation!

DO NOT make the incorrect assumption that the wave activity at the top of the reef means corals, anemones, etc that live in more protected areas of the reef need the same flow rates as Acropora and Montipora corals.

Here's a video on different flows from different power heads. I would also recommend the SunSun line for a more economical quality pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AfnR-NX0-Y

Prob the most informative post! Thank you for the details. That will help, so your saying I should do a more circulative current than a random current to not be so aggressive toward the zoas?