chiller repair place please or buy it off me?

izzypop

Anyone have any good experience with a place that repairs chillers? The couple AC places I've called don't have any experience with them. Anyone have there chiller repaired by a good shop? It is not a pacific coast chiller.

I will check a few more places. In the meantime, try the e-mail address listed below and see if he can refer you to someone in this area.

Aqua-Medic USA

Loveland/Colorado jeremy@aqua-medic.com

Tel.: (+1) (970)461-5879

Fax: (+1) (970)691-2989

http://www.aqua-medic.de/en/service/pdfs/Titan%20K%C3%BChler%20150,250,500,1500%20u.pdf

yep been talking with Jason at aqua-medic and they don't even have parts for them anymore except in Europe. He gave me a little more detail on the specs for refilling that aren't in the manual which is good. Great Customer Service for sure.

I'll end up taking it to somewhere just thought someone might know a good place that I don't have to explain the whole thing. "its used for what?" It's hard enough to find a good AC repair place to repair your AC let alone something they have never seen before.

What is wrong, or at least what is it doing? They should not care about what its used for, its a compressor with a temp control and the r134 is circulated through the coils to water. DONT call it a chiller and simply call it a compressor rack, if they service the brand then you are fine, for instance I know my A/C compressor system is a hitachi (stamped right on it)

If it was me I would diagnose it and order the part, probaby a start or run relay, tell me whats wrong and I can probably help.

Bought it used a couple weeks ago. I bought it as a working unit...

This is not my first chiller so I know how to use them and set them up...

The compressor comes on at the correct desired cooling temp, fan blows air but the air coming into the unit is the same temp as the air exiting the unit which I thought was odd. The water coming into the unit is the same temp as the water coming out. A loaner chiller replaced it working fine. It is not cooling the water but acts normal otherwise. I have no experience with this type of equipment.

Aquamedic says they don't have parts for it. Only in Europe now. I am not sure who makes it.

I wouldn't think this was it but I would have the system charged (walmart r134 can with adapter hose) just to make sure its up to pressure. NORMALLY they won't run when the pressure gets to low but its worth a shot for $10. After that I would GUESS its the compressor. I have a brand new spare 1/3 hp with relays I could give you but, thats a far cry from a 1/2 hp.

And your SURE the compressor stays on and runs? You may want to take the relay off and shake it just to make sure, the relay is located on the side of the compressor and usually plugs in (3 prong) or a small black box, if you shake it and it sounds like broken glass you need to order a generic star run relay for a 1/2 hp comp. But normally the compressor will only run for 10-20 seconds then shut off if its a relay.

FYI I am no expert. But I have had my share of repairing fridges, freezers and split systems.

Once this heat wave is done I'll test it again and open it up and take a look at it.

Here is a question what should the water temps be approx. exiting the chiller if the water coming into it is constant 78 degrees and room temp is 70?

so would a 1/2hp be 4 degrees cooler and a 1/4hp be 2 degrees cooler? forget tank size just water coming in and water coming out? How do you know it is working?

The performance will vary with the room temp, but I would simply take your tank thermometer and put near the exit side and see if its colder by a few degrees (a 1/2 hp should be able to pull the temp down dramatically), I would run it in a small tub even, if the water is cold... then your fine.

That is exactly what I'm doing as a test. Running the outlet into a container in the sump with a temp probe in it. The container fills up and spills over into the sump. The used PCI 1/2hp chiller I setup chilled the water in the container down a few degrees in 10 minutes but the one I have is the same temp out and in. Some have said it may be too small for my system but I figured tank size shouldn't matter the water coming out should be colder period.

I agree, I talked to a knowledgeable ac guy and he told me from the description it may be the expansion valve but hard to tell without looking at it, most any qualified refrigeration guy should be able to service it, especially if you remove the chiller box and give them access to the refrigeration. In short all the expansion valve does is convert the liquid r134 to gas, regardless it will most likely need to be serviced for the repair, but I would still add some gas in case it was low, just don't overfill.

That is what I was thinking too. Nyles you wouldn't happen to be coming to the Northern meeting would you? I could put together a sweet frag pack for you if you wanted to peak at this thing for me. If not I'm going to take it to an AC place or should I take it to a refrigeration place?

Turns out I got it working. I may have had way to much flow going through the unit. This 1/2hp chiller is on the small side of 1/2hp that i'm used. I moved the chiller to my frag tank so I could play with it and plumbed it with a maji-jet and it started working like a champ. I don't know why but just running a slow flow through it worked great. This thing is not going to work for my 290gal. I'm most likely going to sell it and get something bigger. I would say the rating on this chiller is too high. I wouldn't run this on a tank larger than 200 gals. It is half the size of the pacific coast 1/2hp chiller. Anyone coming to my house this weekend want to buy a chiller :)