diy temperature monitor

eclipse522

I was doing a search for temperature monitor and I came across a diy project.  Youtube has a videos on how to create your own temperature monitor. It looks easy and cheap enough to do. My question is has anyone every made this temperature monitor? I worry that the saltwater will corrode the probe. Can I splice in a different probe as needed or is there a way to protect the sensor that comes with the monitor? Here is a video. 

I think I will try this soon.
  • Like 1

These are awsesome.  If you look a TOTMs on UltimateReef (UK I think?) they are very prevalent.  

I have two in my closet, never hooked up due to apex.  I would run one, but use the sealed temp probe.  

Several on ebay come with that, be sure to get Fahrenheit instead of Celsius and 120v vs 240v!

• 2 weeks later...

I am going through with the diy temperature monitor. The stc 1000 will be deliveried on Wednesday. All i need to get is a project box, cord connecter, and a corded plug. By next weekend, i will hopefully have a working temperature monitor. With a little more research, I did find out there are replacement probes out there. I will post a picture of the finished product.

After a few issue, I now have a working temperature controller. The wiring diagram on the control is misleading. Luckily YouTube had the answers. The total cost is about 40.00. Probably could have been a little cheaper.8434b85a6768d2507a7148dbca316c5e.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The probe goes into the tank and will read the tank temperature. You will have one duplex receptacle and split the hot side (the side with the black or brass colored screws). One receptacle will turn on a heater if the temperature goes over the set deviation. If it gets too hot the other receptacle turns on. I used a fan for the cold receptacle. The directions that come with the controller is a confusing.