Club tank sitters/chercker uppers?

reefgeek84

Holly brought up the idea in fly guys thread, I figure I would start here, to keep that thread on topic, and I think it deserves its own thread..

I think this would be a great idea for people as an option...I was just in vegas and it made me very nervous leaving my tank in the hands of someone who knows nothing about it, it turned out ok, but I have this fairly automated, but it would have been nice having someone come to the house to check on the tank who knows something about them.

I would be willing to help others out... I know there could be problems with this, but if we got a drivers license number and maybe some other info., that way if something went missing or wrong, people could go to the police...but again, I know I am not thinking everything through and others always bring up great points and suggestions, so lets see if we can possibly get this ball rolling...

This is a great idea!

I'd be happy to help out in the Eugene/Springfield area.

I can't claim to be an expert on everything, but have a fairly good understanding of the basics.

And it'd be great to have someone to check up on the tanks (and maybe other pets?) on occasion.

Reef's idea is good- DL and some other ID for people that sign up to be on the "tank sit" list.

If people have several pets, they'll prob have someone else dropping by or house-sitting to feed the dogs/cats/horse/etc. Maybe the tank check-up time can be when the other sitter is there, so you wouldn't necessarily need to give your key to someone.

Wow Kris you have a lot of critters!! :eek: :D

I think it's a great idea. Another slightly toned down version might be an "emergency squad" of people; a list of phone numbers that our non-knowledgable sitters can use if something out of ordinary comes up. Might be easier to get more people involved if it was that kind of less full-time responsibility.

-Sol

PS reefgeek, shoot me an email about the bulbs (reisbers@reed.edu). For some reason I can't PM you.

Oh - and I think civicsit was right (earlier thread) - that you'd prob need a back-up of willing very EXPERIENCED folk, in case the people checking up find something beyond their realm of knowledge. Being a 1-yr newb, I'd prob feel better to have a back-up pro I could call.

Maybe tie in Sol's plan, which also makes sense. People have lives and limited time. Tank-chkrs could just offer to do what they're willing to do. If they'll just be an emergency-contact person, that's great! If they're willing and able to do a daily check-up (like if they live very close to the person going out of town, etc), that's fine too.

We could have a thread dedicated to people going on vacation that could post "need person to ck my tanks (listed) in (put city) from (this-date-to-this-date)" and see who's available to do what for that area.

Some places have more people in the hobby than others...

Reef's idea is good- DL and some other ID for people that sign up to be on the "tank sit" list.

If people have several pets, they'll prob have someone else dropping by or house-sitting to feed the dogs/cats/horse/etc. Maybe the tank check-up time can be when the other sitter is there, so you wouldn't necessarily need to give your key to someone.

Wow Kris you have a lot of critters!! :eek: :D

Did I fail to mention the Red Tailed Boa and the Snowflake Corn Snake??? The chameleon was on the list, right??? Oh, how 'bout the 700 gallon pond in the back yard, or the FW tank....LOL.

I usually take the dogs, send the ferrets out and feed the snakes before I go. I have a few people that are capable of misting and feeding crixs to the cham. The other fish are easy and the horse is retired on 20 acres....where, thank God, someone else takes care of him!!!! The tank is pretty easy right now too....just some snails, rock, and a few fish!

I would like to go to Hawaii next year though...HINT HINT HINT!!!

Kris

I am totally willing to take care of anyones tank/other pets for any much needed vacations or out of town events in the Salem area. I have pretty much had a zoo at my house for around 10 years, so there aren't many animals that I couldn't take care of. This is a great idea. I know how fustraiting it is to come home to a disaster (last summer after a Disneyland trip).

So if any of you need help in Salem, let me know.

Garrett