My 200g Money Pit

Guest Bevo5

Hey thanks for the offer. I appreciate it. I just removed the uniseal, went around the edge with a blade and burned off any little stragglers, then slathered on a huge glob of silicone to the inside and outside - then pushed the pvc in to expand the uniseal. So Hopefully it's all sealed up either by the uniseal itself, or the silicone. 

I'm going to give it a couple days to cure and then try again.

For the stand - it's wood, and I'm stoked about it....brian has made it exactly to specs. 

Should have water in the tank in a week or two and then I'm dumping 50 pounds of 'cured' live rock in there to start up a cycle. Then I'm waiting...patiently. 

ha...true. Luckily I've been so busy with other stuff that I haven't had time to stare at the empty wall....hell, I've basically been neglecting my current 29BC. Luckily it's all so automated that as long as I toss some food in there every now and again it'll be OK. Apex's are amazing things.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright! Time for an update.

I got the stand from Brian last weekend and it's exactly what I was looking for. It's built like a tank and looks great. This isn't even the best shot of it, but too much stuff in the way to get a head-on photo.

FxPa12c.jpg

Then I got to work on the plumbing. I've never done this before so I took my time measuring and glueing etc. I finally filled it all up last night and turned it on. So far so good (knock on wood). I had a small leak from a union but I tightened that right up. Otherwise, it's working.

Here's a video. It's loud now because I haven't run the drain pipe down below the sump water level just yet. That's a removable piece I'm going to put on later. I also don't have the tank completely filled at the top.

The good news is that I ran the Jabeo 12000 at full blast and the main line could handle it - even though tank isn't full at the moment so that will change. Then I closed the main and tested the emergency at full blast. 

Going to fill the tank up completely tonight and check to make sure the sump can handle it. We calculated it a bunch of times so I should be good.

Question:

-What's the best way to fill these tanks? It's tricky because you don't want to overflow anything. I'm thinking I get real close to filling up the display until the perfect amount of water is in sump - then let the pump add in the last bit of water to the display? Risky.

• Like 2

Looking awesome, congrats!

On the fill question, here is one idea.  Start your pump at a low setting after filling the tank and sump and slowly ramp it up.  If the return chamber gets low, add some more water.  Work your way up to full speed, works great!

Cool - I'll give that a shot.

I just came home to see the sump a few inches more full than when I left and a slow trickle going into the main drain. Tank is off...so not sure where water was coming from. I drained the overflow figuring maybe there was a pinhole gap in the overflow maybe...then realize there is a TINY drip coming in from that water change hole.

It's a slip PVC going into a slip bulkhead - so that's where the drip was coming. I'm going to go ahead and glue it in there. I know it's not ideal to do that, but oh well. 

Only time that drip would ever be an issue is if the pump died and I was away. Figure it's better safe than sorry so I'll toss some glue on there to stop the drip.

Unless anybody has an idea on how to seal a slip-to-slip that can be undone later.

• Like 1

Great catch!  

I have 8 closed loop holes on the bottom of my current cube that keep me up at night if I think about them too much.  Previous owner had an epic closed loop with oceans motion 4 way.  I didn't go that route now that powerheads are so affordable and efficient.  Each is now capped from the inside with a threaded plug and on the bottom went with a threaded coupling, short piece of flex, and another cap.  They trouble me when I think about them but so far have held.

Just throwing ideas out, you could go slip to slip threaded coupling to a cap?  That way if you ever wanted to use it, could uncap.  Or slip to valve to threaded coupling to cap?  Extra insurance but have the ability to uncap down the road?  

Well for what it's worth, there is my ramblings, good luck!

OH i'm definitely keeping the line itself - this drip is just coming from the bulkhead between the line in the overflow and the main display. The little drip just puts water into the overflow - which under running circumstances wouldn't matter one bit. But if power went out for an extended time, or if the pump failed, than that drip would eventually add up.

I just sealed it shut with some Red Hot - screw it. If I ever have to move this thing there are going to be plenty of connections that need to be drimmelled off anyway!

Edited by Bevo5