SPS in my tank

momo3419

Hello, Im just starting fill my tank With coral from my frag tank. Ive also picked up a couple SPS frags. I know my water parameters are good for SPS but I'm looking for help dialing in my lights and flow for my new corals. Im planing on having this tank as a mixed reef tank. I have 2 mp-40s on short pulse mode at 47% at .72 second intervals. I'm getting about a 1/2 inch of wave currently. I have a sice 3.0 going in at the back right hand corner and my ehiem 1200 in the off center overflow spilt in 2. 

For lighting I have 2 radion gen 3 pros running max at 45. Ill try to upload photos of my graph later on about my lights and vortechs. 

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Some general tips.

I try to start new frags towards the bottom as they acclimate and move them up.

Will depend on the SPS type where its happiest. (Deep water types likes lower light)

If it looks unhappy, move it.

Generally a mixed reef will have the SPS towards the top, with the lower light LPS below it.

Trial and error will teach you a lot

• Like 2

As long as things are stable in your tank, just go for it... Don't make things too complicated for yourself, stressing about pump speeds and lights etc. You'll drive yourself crazy!

If you're concerned about where to put a specific piece in you tank, post some pictures and ask away but really it's going to be trial and error.

Like Pete said, if it looks pissed move it up or down. Your eyes are going to be your best judge.

As long as things are stable in your tank, just go for it... Don't make things too complicated for yourself, stressing about pump speeds and lights etc. You'll drive yourself crazy!

If you're concerned about where to put a specific piece in you tank, post some pictures and ask away but really it's going to be trial and error.

Like Pete said, if it looks pissed move it up or down. Your eyes are going to be your best judge.

I totally agree.  Just gets things operating consistently and start adding coral.  Regarding your Ecotechs, there are several website online that people use to post up their graphs.  I guess I'd just look at someone's tank with excellent looking coral, assess the height of the unit, use their graph, and go from there. It's not a perfect science, but it will allow you to start somewhere.

Just open your photos in preview, go up to tools in the top bar, click on adjust size.

Make sure it says pixels next to the little lock. Set the largest number to 1000 and click ok.

Close the photo, it'll atomatically save to the new size.

Now try to re-upload like normal on the site. If you're still too big try dropping the largest number to 800

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble downsizring my photos small enough to upload. Anyideas?

Use Tapatalk to post photos from your phone. It takes about 2 seconds, no adjusting. You can either take the photo with your phone or upload it from your gallery.

If you're set on the computer, then use a photo hosting site, like Photo Bucket.

• 2 weeks later...

Some general tips.

I try to start new frags towards the bottom as they acclimate and move them up.

Will depend on the SPS type where its happiest. (Deep water types likes lower light)

If it looks unhappy, move it.

Generally a mixed reef will have the SPS towards the top, with the lower light LPS below it.

Trial and error will teach you a lot

Trial and terror is more what I experience when finding homes. I am losing a nice chalice right now due to me not finding a sweet spot. The orhers are doing well.