Bare bottom alternative

I was searching around for a reef safe epoxy to use on the inside of the bowl that will be the tidepool tank. I came across this on another forum.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392144

He laid down a layer of sand, then just covered it with this pour on epoxy sealant. Looks pretty sweet. It still looks like a sand bed, but is easy to clean like bare bottom.

Edited by Jack-the-reefer
  • Like 1

MIKE! You were and are that good friend, a bit of a mentor when I first got hooked by the coral bug, an enabler of sorts ;) 

Lots of DIY and experimental stuff back in the days, and generous free frag exchange. Do you still have any pics of the setup? I know some one else who has done the same thing recently and it looks pretty smooth.

• Like 1

There is a two-part hobby epoxy that I used for covering a black pond foam background, then covering it with fine coral sand before it dried. I let it set overnight before adding it to the tank.

I believe I waited a couple of days, just to add extra curing time.(wear rubber gloves with this stuff! lol). Bob Smith Hobby Epoxy has been recommended by quite a few reefkeepers,  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/5-minute-quick-cure-epoxy-1027614/

MIKE! You were and are that good friend, a bit of a mentor when I first got hooked by the coral bug, an enabler of sorts ;) 

Lots of DIY and experimental stuff back in the days, and generous free frag exchange. Do you still have any pics of the setup? I know some one else who has done the same thing recently and it looks pretty smooth.

I'll have to look around I have pics stashed all over. That was the clam tank where the whole tank overflowed into a gutter system and then to a sump. It was cool. Like a weeping wall tank. I'll try to find some pics

• Like 1