Noisy overflow

tanktop74

Ok my tank has been up and running for 5 days now..... The overflow is LOUD!  I have tried everything I know.  Here is the picture of the plumbing.  Mind you the overflow was already plumbed when I got it and I didn't do anything with it.  Second.... you can't really get in the overflow section to change the internals.  Third if I cut the old plumbing off and replace it I will need to start with a peice that will thread onto the bulkhead, because the old plumbing is glued inside the BH.  

Can I get some suggestions?

89ECE454-08B2-44DB-BBDE-A12F5E795E20_zps

Have you had a chance to read about herbie overflows? If you have two drains that is probably your best bet.

For some reason I thought the herbie wouldn't work.  I only have 1 overflow, the lower plumbing is the return.  I will read up on the Herbie again (its been years and I think that is similar to what I put the big system we had.)

Ok.... Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the first post.  I can not change the plumbing on the inside of the overflow (internal overflow).... Can only change the plumbing on the back of the tank.  Which is why I think the durso external standpipe might work.

Brian, what is a gurgle buster?

I had an external standpipe (durso) on the 30 cube that Jeremy linked to. If you wanted to build, or have built, an external overflow box and mount it on the tank you could put a bean animal in it and still use the second existing hole as the return. You would need to somehow remove the upper bulkhead and get an additional gasket to seal the overflow box to the tank, you now have two wet sides. 

Edited by rworegon

Ok.... Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the first post.  I can not change the plumbing on the inside of the overflow (internal overflow).... Can only change the plumbing on the back of the tank.  Which is why I think the durso external standpipe might work.

Brian, what is a gurgle buster?

Understood, just tossing ideas out there.  

If the return pump is small compared to the overflow you may be happy with just a durso from the noise perspective.  I have a single durso on the frag tank with a 750 GPH feed pump and a 2" overflow.  It is quiet but supersized.  There is a second emergency 2" overflow in case the first one ever clogs.  That is always a risk of course with one drain pipe and why many suggest adding a second or re-using the return hole.

Randy's setup I think would be the bomb. 

Gurgle buster might be a quick and easy fix.

Good luck hope you get some inspiration and have fun working on it.

• Like 1