High Nitrates

WingRider62

So, we have both cubes up and running, everything looks happy. We decided to run tests on both tanks, the readings pretty much the same for both.

PH = 7.8 and 8.1

Amonia=0

Nitrite=0

Nitrate= 20 and 40

Before panicing, be decided to check our tap water, which is showing the same results. We filled both tanks with tap water and dosing with "Stability", since dont have a RO/DI setup yet. My question is, will RO/DI cure this problem?

If you filled your tank with tap and your tap has those parameters, then no surprise it's in there.  When you begin doing water changes with RODI water, the nitrates will go down rather quickly.  You could always throw some macro in there to start consuming it.  But a few water changes and you'll be good to go. That's of course assuming a lot of stuff (not overstocking, overfeeding, using correct filtration and skimming, etc.). But long story short, I'm confident you'll be able to clear that up. I know people who use only tap water and they have some amazing tanks.

If you have not put anything in those tanks as of yet (No livestock/Corals) I would seriously drain them both and do it the right way with RO/DI. I did what you have many years ago before owning an RO/DI unit. After finally purchasing one up things definitely did get better but that's not to say crap that initially got in the tank I can't help but assume caused me issues throughout the life of that tank. I promise you the extra time and money to do it right from the start will be greater rewarding in the long run.

If you have not put anything in those tanks as of yet (No livestock/Corals) I would seriously drain them both and do it the right way with RO/DI. I did what you have many years ago before owning an RO/DI unit. After finally purchasing one up things definitely did get better but that's not to say crap that initially got in the tank I can't help but assume caused me issues throughout the life of that tank. I promise you the extra time and money to do it right from the start will be greater rewarding in the long run.

+1