LED's as supplementation?

reefgeek84

Ok, so I have an open top tank and I have set up my lighting fixture with two arms for VHO or T-5 supplementation, I just got my VHO's up there and I have under estamated how much light will spill over into the room, it is bad, it looks like I am having a rave in my front room. I figure t-5's will not be much better, so I am wondering if LEDs would offer any sort of decent supplementation. Any thoughts would be helpful...

Here is lighting fixture with the arms I am talking about...

tank1-1.jpg

The main lighting is 3 250w Pheonix 14k's...

Please give me your thoughts or possibly other ideas...

Thanks.

Cant help you out with the LEDs but I think it looks pretty good without supplementation. What ballast are you running? What are you looking to accomplish with the supplements bluer color or more florescence? Did you run reflectors on the VHOs? Not sure about this but in seems like the T5 with their parabolic reflectors would focus the light into the tank better.

Cant help you out with the LEDs but I think it looks pretty good without supplementation. What ballast are you running? What are you looking to accomplish with the supplements bluer color or more florescence? Did you run reflectors on the VHOs? Not sure about this but in seems like the T5 with their parabolic reflectors would focus the light into the tank better.

That pic makes the tank look really, really blue, it is not nearly that blue in person.

I am wanting more florescence...No reflector on the VHO's, with VHOs you do not need a reflector, they have an internal one. I agree with a reflector possibly putting more light into the tank, but I still think I will have a ton of spill over...

My thinking is LED tubes I could do ones that were 15" and had 30 LEDs in them, so I could get three of those tubes on each arm...I know my LED's I have for my moon lights illuminates the corals, just like VHO do...but not sure if they would be strong enough to penetrate with the main halides on...

There are a few people on Nano-reef.com that are experimenting with LEDs for tank lighting. You should research there to see what they are talking about. There is one guy "neanderthalman" that has a pico that he made an aray of LEDs to light. I didn't read the whole 30 pages of his thread, but it is worth checking out what they have experienced.

I hope you find a solution.

dsoz :)