First time doing this!

Mitrillion

I'm not saying this is a bad thing because I've never seen it done, but I question "why"

Was this a one time thing, new thing to try, what was the reason behind it-do tell more :)

haha a fellow reefer said it was a good way to get the clam to eat phyto and make sure it gets it all! I have like 8 liters of phyto and thought I'd give the clam some phyto! Bad idea? When it is a smaller clam 2 and 1/2 in shouldn't you use phyto!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old school thought/idea that small clams need to be fed-Its a myth, granted it is nice to add stuff to the tank that they can take in.

Personally I wouldn't do it, I think the stress of moving the clam back and forth would be bad, and then possibly over feeding them. But like I said, I've no idea, maybe you're pioneer of clam feeding.

Not saying its a good idea or bad idea, its just something I would think is not  "needed" the potential bad out weighs the good in my head

• Like 2

I agree with Brad ( wow did I just say that?????) lighting is much more important and clams are filter feeders so if you have fish in your tank they poop and provide phosphates and other nutrients in the water.

When I was new to the hobby I thought I was told I should feed smaller clams too. The other risk I saw was a risk of the fish accidentally biting it trying to get the food.

looks like a sad little clam in that dish :-(

Im 100% with Brad...no need to feed clams, especially like this. I'm sure people have done it and have had success, but clams are filter feeding all day and night from your aquarium. Dosing phyto to the entire tank is all you need to do. I think I read something written from a really smart dude that said 90% or so of a clams energy is derived from photosynthesis.

Clams are pretty tough, but once they get stressed, they usually won't recover...so limiting stress is key to long term success.

IMO Clams need ammonia and/or organic waste more than phyto...but above all is light...literally.

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

Im 100% with Brad...no need to feed clams, especially like this. I'm sure people have done it and have had success, but clams are filter feeding all day and night from your aquarium. Dosing phyto to the entire tank is all you need to do. I think I read something written from a really smart dude that said 90% or so of a clams energy is derived from photosynthesis.

Clams are pretty tough, but once they get stressed, they usually won't recover...so limiting stress is key to long term success.

IMO Clams need ammonia and/or organic waste more than phyto...but above all is light...literally.

thankyou for clearing that up for me I have good lighting! So how much should I use to dose the tank won't other corals and pods benefit from the phyto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even 15 years ago, we realized how important ammonia was to clams.  Ryan Gents spoke at one of our club (the Marine Study Group at the time) meetings about Tridacna Aquaculture in the Solomon Islands, and told us how they actually shoveled Ammonium Sulfate over the surface of the water where the clams were being raised to increase growth. (this was ocean farming... probably not a good idea adding ammonia to your closed system)

• Like 2