how to get more light underneath my cap?

Nivman14

I shouldve thought about this when i put my cap in my tank but any suggestions on how to get more light underneath the top layer of my cap? I can see the color fading day by day due to no light because the top layer is hovering over it. I cant really move it because it already attached part of it on my rocks. Any tip or advice would be greatly appreciated.... I really dont want to frag it either. Id like to keep it in one piece if i could. Thanks!

a5jgi1.jpg

Ah, nice you have some true reef building going on there.  

I and likely many others have the same issue with caps.  The lower layers eventually die or I frag em off before its too late.  If they die, they just become part of the live rock structure.  Those top layers will get quite a bit bigger I imagine and even cleaning the glass will result in unintentional fragging.

Coral looks super healthy, congrats!

Brian it is one piece and i might have to break the bottom pieces and re glue to the colony. Not really the route i want to take. But well see thanks!

Thanks theclark, i know eventually the bottom pieces die but i was hoping maybe there might be another way to keep it alive without breaking the bottom pieces. Thanks though!