Overflow boxes

Yourmedic

So, I'm setting up a whole new 40B. I've learned a good bit and want to implement some many things, just made sense. One of the things I plan on doing is drilling my tank and plumbing it for the sump below. Researching overflow boxes on Amazon was easy, tons of items came up. However, when I talked with a LFS person whom I've turned to more then a few times told me, "the longer your overflow box is the more surface area that can be skimmed which is what you want".

Looking at the Amazon items, and the cost of a 30" box vs ordering acrylic and doing it myself, well, Amazon lost. So my acrylic get here tomorrow and I figured I will ask the great people of PNWMAS what their thoughts are. I have the ability to make a 30" long x 6" tall x 4" deep with plenty of extra acrylic to modify (make bigger) if desired.

My question is this, is it true the larger skimming surface the better, or is there a point that you reach "maximum skimming" and anything larger is wasted?

Thanks for any and all help... Ready. . . .

GO!

Tapatalk, because my computer don't go there.

That's way bigger that would be useful. Your bulkhead size is what dictates flow, and that flow rate will determine minimum overflow requirements. If it were me, I'd make it only as deep (front to back) and tall as required to fit bulkhead into and go full width. My glass holes model is about 8"w x 3.25"d x 5.25"h with 1.5" bulkhead and moves around 800 gpm in my 90g. If I bump return flow up much above that, my level stays a little higher and surface skimming doesn't work as well (oils and stuff in surface).

Edited by Bicyclebill
  • Like 1