Garretts 210g

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for asking Doran,

I was working in my shed one night about a month ago and all the sudden one of the 2x6 supports for the front of the top tanks snaped away from its corresonding adjacent 2x6. It was a really stupid mistake on my part. First off, the gorrila glue would have worked just fine had the mosture level in the shed been alot lower and secondly and most important, during construction I ran out of deck screws and had to use a few verious other screws that were lying around. Remember people, drywall screw, even the really big and strong ones, are not galvanized and are not good in any kind of weight bearing construction.

Anyway, to make a long story really short. all 3 tanks on that side of the shed ended up cracking on their back walls fromt the 2"+ shift from that 2x6 brakeing off. I was able to save all of the livestock because I had a couple other tanks to put it all in and since it happened right in front of me, I could act really quickly. The wierd thing is, I was expecting the loss of water volume and shift in salinity to really reap havoc in my display and to my suprise, stuff actually looks happier and is doing better a month later than ever.

Now I am in the process of rebuilding that side of the shed with both extra support, proper hardware, and lighter volume tanks. I have posted a WTB thread with more detail on this.

I have done alot of really dum things over my reef keeping career, but this was probably the stupidest mistake that I have yet to make and it will not happen again.

Thanks and remember never use drywall screws, ever.

Garrett

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So I haven't posted any pictures or done any updates on my systems status in quite a long time. Things are going better than ever for my little reef and I am happy to say that all is healthy and growing nicely. The "Reef Shed" has been abandoned and instead the concept has been relocated, upgraded, readjusted, and rennovated into a much easier to manage and much better setup in my garage. Why I didn't do this in the first place I can not say.

Over the last 6 months alot has changed in my tank. First, I had a really bad fish that decided to desimate many of my softer corals such as shrooms and zoanthids. In a 210g it was impossible to get him out without taking out all of the live rock. He didn't eat any of the 10 varieties of fish food that I tried and he was untrapable. So for along while he called my reef his feeding grounds. Around mid April I decided that I was going to move my prop system and display to the other end of my house near my garage. This turned out to be quite the task and took over a week just to move and readjust everything. It had to be one of the best decisions I have made!

So, you can see some of what is in my garage and tied into my display in my signature, but you are probably wondering what the display is looking like. During the move I lost nearly nothing except for an engineering goby and a brain coral. I have traded and swapped a few corals, and many of the corals look entirely different since the last post. I have switched to 3x400w hqi bulbs instead of the standards which has helped with color. I alos switched to a PFO professional hood which makes things nice :) So, here are some updated pics:

DSC_0003-3.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0019-2.jpg

DSC_0051-1.jpg

I wish I could post more pics, but time is of the essence as I am getting hitched on the 31st! Most of these corals are so much more beautiful than the pictures can really capture. The colors are far better and the overall appeal of the tank really has turned out nicely. It will be intersting and amazing to continue to watch many of these once fragments grow into amazing colorful colonies. If any of you want to stop by and check out my system, you are more than welcome to. Just shoot me a PM and we will go from there.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas and contributions to my knowledge! This site has really been alot of fun and I enjoy learning more each and every day from your tanks, posts, and experiences.

Garrett

Thank you all for the comments and the congratulations on the wedding.

The purple rim green monti was about half of that size when I got it. If you look back at some of the previous posts you will see how much this piece really has grown in such a little amount of time. Looking at the Idaho grape, red monti, green monti, and orange edged millipora rock you can see how fast these corals can take off and consume a rock. Over the past 9 months or so they have gone from tiny 1 inch or so frags to consuming the entire rock and even each other. It will be cool to see how they continue to grow together and interact with each other. I have decided to aquascape many of my other rocks similarly to see if I can achieve a similar growth pattern.

Garrett

• 2 months later...

Well I finally was able to make it over and check out Garretts system. And all I can say is WOW!!!

Just hope I can do half of what he has accomplished.

Great colors!

Clean water/tank/sand!

All of it was absolutly beautiful!!!!!!

And thats just the inside tank!! The garage has a great little set-up running too!!

Hope to do some trading/buying in the future!!

Really nice job Garrett!!

• 1 month later...

I haven't done an update in quite a while so... Here is a photo heavy update for everyone. Not a whole lot has changed with my tank itself. I am having some problems with my rose bubble tip getting a bit too large, so I may need to do some propagational activities in which he is involved(whistle)

I lost my lawnmower blenny last week. It was strange, he looked super healthy even in death. Poor little bugger (sad) I guess I will just have to pull another one from the garage (clap)

My co2 bottle has been out for the last few months, so I have been relying on water changes alone to bump the calcium up a bit. Seems to be working out well actually considering the number of sps in the tank. I have noticed a bit slower growth sadly. No worries though because I think tomorrow Downhillbiker is coming by to do some trading and I just might be getting a new bottle to fill(mine is old and grundgy).

I figured I would add some photos of the algae tanks, frag tanks, fish and coral houseing tanks, and equipment that is on the other side of the wall that my display is on in the garage. This setup has been alot of fun and has come along nicely over the last few months. I have had the opportunity of meeting lots of fellow reefers and have been able to do some trading and such which is rad. A big thanks goes out to Jason at CRPC for the great deal on the 40g br tanks and in general for keeping me pretty well pumped up about this hobby.

Any questions are as always more than welcomed and encouraged. Constructive critics are also encouraged to leave their thoughts as they often aid me in changeing my system for the better. Please forgive my spelling and or grammer. I am writting this quick to get to the fun part... the photos! Some of these are not so great as I am not the best with my camera. I also got a chance to use my dad's underwater camera so some of the photos are from that :D

Enjoy!

The freakin too massive and once hot pink rose bubble:

DSC_0001-2.jpg

The Bali Green Slimer is growing well:

DSC_0011-3.jpg

The larger and fuzzier pink A. milli:

DSC_0019-3.jpg

Thanks for the frag of Cali tort Ben!

DSC_0020-1.jpg

Oregon A. tortusa. Slow grower, but beautiful!

DSC_0049-2.jpg

Yellow polyped green and pink birdsnest. Thanks again Ben for the frag.

DSC_0052.jpg

Blue A. milli growing nicely and coloring up really well:

DSC_0054.jpg

Sunset A. milli also very fast grower adn getting more orange tints:

DSC_0056.jpg

Pink plateing acro with greenish base. Plateing nicely over the last few months and coloring up:

DSC_0058-1.jpg

From 1 polyp to 6 polyps in about 4 months. Kryptonite candycane:

DSC_0060.jpg