RO efficiency options?

fishmanmike01

Possibly one benefit is that the waste water from membrane one turns around and goes through a second membrane.  In theory cutting the waste water in half.  

I have no experience though with the 150 GPD membranes.  

I am running that BRS second membrane and it was a breeze to setup.  It made 180 gallons in 19 hours a couple days ago or about 127 Gallons Per Day.

One other difference, the second membrane requres allot of water pressure.  I had to go to my pressure reducing valve on the water supply and up the pressure a tad.

Possibly one benefit is that the waste water from membrane one turns around and goes through a second membrane. In theory cutting the waste water in half.

I have no experience though with the 150 GPD membranes.

I am running that BRS second membrane and it was a breeze to setup. It made 180 gallons in 19 hours a couple days ago or about 127 Gallons Per Day.

One other difference, the second membrane requres allot of water pressure. I had to go to my pressure reducing valve on the water supply and up the pressure a tad.

What pressure are you running? My other concern/confusion is most setups I've seen only have the fast flush at the end of the series. Wouldn't this force all the scale and whatnot from the first membrane into the second? Wouldn't you really need the ability to flush both? Makes sense to me. Edited by fishmanmike01

From what I've read you go from a 1:4 good to waste ratio to a 1:1 with dual membranes. You will still have a 1:4 if you go 150gpd vs dual. The main issue as stated is pressure. I run a single 150 and have to have 60 psi in to the membrane to be efficient. It's likely similar for dial 75s. I was going to go dual 150s but my dang booster pump died so I'm stuck with the inefficient for now :(

Food for thought, depending on your incoming TDS, Sediment/Carbon/DI is an option. I crinched the numbers last Friday on usage based on an incoming TDS of 43ppm. A square foot of mixed bed DI resin would run about 8,500 gallons of water. Came out to 4.9 cents a gallon as I recall.

Now, someone running the Dual Membrane RODI needs to cross reference to see what is more economical. For me, living in the high desert, water is expensive so cutting down on backwash (wastewater) is very important.

Oh, and Buckeye Hydro is who Bulk Reef Supply gets their parts from in case anyone wanted to cut out the middle man or customize their water filtration setup.

• Like 2

Food for thought, depending on your incoming TDS, Sediment/Carbon/DI is an option. I crinched the numbers last Friday on usage based on an incoming TDS of 43ppm. A square foot of mixed bed DI resin would run about 8,500 gallons of water. Came out to 4.9 cents a gallon as I recall.

Now, someone running the Dual Membrane RODI needs to cross reference to see what is more economical. For me, living in the high desert, water is expensive so cutting down on backwash (wastewater) is very important.

Oh, and Buckeye Hydro is who Bulk Reef Supply gets their parts from in case anyone wanted to cut out the middle man or customize their water filtration setup.

Haha I wish I only had 43 in, ours is 110 on a good day. My resin goes out pretty quick even with a nice membrane.

Thanks for the tip on Buckeye, I'll have to check them out!

I feel lucky the highest I've seen my TDS going in is 23 and my normal water pressure from my washer "Y" is 90 PSI at my RO/DI unit. I haven't changed my filters in prob over a year, I really should check my membrane tho, TDS coming out is still 0. I refill my 5 gal top off every 3-4 days and around 500 gallons in WCs, so roughly 1000 gallons a year. 

My LFS charges $.50/gal for RO/DI

$1/gal for Mixed Saltwater

I bought the unit used and put all new filters and membrane in it, about $100 total.

I also rent my place so I don't pay for water  :yahoo:

So I've save about $400 with my RO/DI unit, and that's just in FW.

• Like 1